Last Updated on
Adding to the value of your truck can be a costly endeavor. With things like new tires, rims, a lift, headlights, truck toppers, and so much more, buying features like these can be a headache on your finances. However, do not be alarmed. Buying the best truck bed extender will not only add value to your vehicle, but you will not pay an arm or a leg either.
These types of extenders come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and designs. By giving you more room to work in your truck bed, you will be able to get more done than you ever thought possible. Check out this buying/review guide to get you started on the path to buying the right option for you and your lifestyle. So, without further ado, here are the top-10 bed extenders you should look out for in this day-in-age.
10 Best Truck Bed Extender: At A Glance
- Top 10 Best Truck Bed Extender Review:
- 1. AMP 74813-01A Black BedXTender
- 2. ReadyRampI-Beam Full-Sized Bed Extender/Ramp
- 3. Dodge Ram Black Aluminum Tailgate
- 4. Genuine Ford 9L3Z-99286A40-C Bed Extender
- 5. AMP 74814-01A Black BedXTender
- 6. Darby Industries 944 Extend-A-Truck
- 7. Goplus Pick-up Truck Bed Hitch Extender
- 8. MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender
- 9. Lund 601021 Hitch Mounted Truck Bed Extender
- 10. AA Products Aluminum Alloy Bed Extender
- Things To Consider When Buying Truck Bed Extender
- Types of Truck Bed Extenders
- Benefits of Truck Bed Extenders
- How to Install A Truck Bed Extender
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions about Truck Bed Extenders
Top 10 Best Truck Bed Extender Review:
1. AMP 74813-01A Black BedXTender
AMP Research makes a perfect truck bed extender. With its u-shape scheme, you will be able to hold items at maximum capacity. As you open the tailgate, you will be able to add two more feet to your truck bed. Additionally, if you flip the extender back into the truck bed and close the tailgate, you will be able to hold tools and smaller items safely contained in the back of your truck.
Made of aluminum alloy, the powder coat finish will hold up against the toughest of conditions. The assembly is very easy to put together, so installation is a breeze. With the product made in the United States of America, know that this product has a limited warranty of 3-years in case you have any ill effects on your extender.
Weighing only 17 pounds, this extender will not hold your truck down. In turn, your overall gas mileage will not be affected at all. By fitting in truck beds between 5-1/2 to 6-feet, this extender is the perfect option for you and your vehicle.
- The extender works with truck covers placed over the top
- Simple drilling instructions
- Easy to remove from any truck bed
- Can be installed in less than an hour
- Tie-down clips make assembly go by quickly
2. ReadyRampI-Beam Full-Sized Bed Extender/Ramp
With its patented design, the ReadyRamp hitch extender doubles as a motorcycle ramp, too. Dirt bikes and other street varieties can be loaded, as long as they are less than 600 pounds of weight. This product folds itself flat, so you can store it out of the way in a garage or basement. The design is perfect for trucks that are full-sized such as the Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, Ford F-150, and Chevrolet and General Motors brands to name a few.
The design of this product is a lot lighter than ReadyRamp’s first patent. Today, it is 15% lighter. Surprisingly, the product only weighs 20 pounds for all the weight it can endure. Trust that ReadyRamp knows what they are doing because they have a strong track record of 15 years where they have served the United States of America and beyond. No matter if you choose black or silver, you will like what the ReadyRamp can do for you.
- Constructed of lightweight T6 aluminum
- Works with Mitsubishi and Volkswagen trucks as well
- Adaptable with 2 sizes to choose from
- Mounts easily with rear loops that are tie-downs
- Product clips to the tailgate
- Assembly only involves rungs to be mounted
- Simple instructs were created by engineers that are thorough, but easy-to-read
3. Dodge Ram Black Aluminum Tailgate
If you are looking for a strap-engaged pickup bed extender, you have come to the right place with this model. Specific for the Dodge Ram, the v-shaped extender weighs less than 7 pounds. Being ridiculously lightweight is one of the many benefits of buying this extender. It works with 2009 to 2018 Dodge Ram 1500s, 2010 to 2018 Dodge Ram 2500s, and 2010 to 2018 Dodge Ram 3500s.
When you purchase this great product, it comes standard with a mounting kit that includes detailed instructions for installation. If you have a tailgate lock, your extender will stay safely in your vehicle. However, if there is no lock, someone might be able to steal your great purchase. Because the product is a great bang for the buck, you should consider this extender for your Dodge Ram to enhance its user-ability.
- Use a rivet tool to install your extender or you can use screws
- Fits in beds over 5-feet
- Quick install in less than an hour
- Extender inside your truck bed is perfect to hold groceries, tools, and smaller items
- Goes under a bed cover
- A spray-in liner will not hinder you from installing this extender
- The product can be purchased anywhere there is a Dodge dealership as well
4. Genuine Ford 9L3Z-99286A40-C Bed Extender
Having a folding bed extender is one of the best purchases you can make for your Ford vehicle. This extender fits with 2009 to 2014 Ford F-150s specifically. As a patented, genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), Ford prides itself on making a product that will make life easier on you. One of the best things about this extender is the fact that it weighs less than 25 pounds. This lightweight version comes in the color black to match any Ford vehicle.
No matter if you have a short bed or long bed truck, this extender will get the job done right for you. Primarily, this product is made from heavy-duty plastic. The hardware used attaches right to the Ford. Even if it is exposed to the elements and banged around, you will see that this product will last and last. Installation includes two bolts that need to be mounted by drill holes into the truck bed. For any truck bed over 5 feet, this extender will work great.
- This bed organizer is about 1/3 the price of other options on the market today
- Will take less than a half an hour to install
- Works great over the top of a liner
- Flip in either direction for more hauling space or a confined area to hold smaller things
- There is a warranty on parts
5. AMP 74814-01A Black BedXTender
AMP Research makes another great product with this best truck bed extender. This extender uses a design of u-shaped technology. By opening the tailgate, you can add 2-feet to help for your hauling purposes. On the other hand, you can flip the extender into the truck bed itself to contain items, so they do not move around when you drive around town.
The aluminum tubes are durable enough that they are torque-resistant. With a powdered coat finish, they are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye but do the hard work as well. Back by a warranty of three years, trust that this product, made in the United States of America, will support you in whatever you need to get done.
At less than 15 pounds, this product will not break your back as you flip it back and forth in your vehicle. Also, a truck cover will not impede the extender. It will fit right under it, making it easy-to-use. With mounting hardware, you will be able to install this product quickly and efficiently.
- Extra sturdy construction
- Simple assembly and installation
- Mounting bracket works well by drill holes in your truck bed
- Perfect for a short and long bed
- Quick-release if you need to flip the extender
6. Darby Industries 944 Extend-A-Truck
Are you still looking for a product that will extend your vehicle to even longer lengths? Well, this next option is for you then. Darby has made a hitch extender that will help you haul longer load than you ever thought possible. With 4-feet support, you can extend your haul out the back of your tailgate in a safe manner. When you are not using the product, you can store it in the back of your cab.
You can also adjust the height of the extender if you are looking to haul an item on the roof of your vehicle. With every purchase, you will receive the extender, a red flag to caution other vehicles near your truck, and a receiver hitch to connect the extender to your truck.
Weighing in at 25 pounds, this product is not very heavy at all. Lastly, because this product is so lightweight, shipping costs will not hurt you either. You can ship this product anywhere in the United States of America, and to any America military bases around the world.
- The trailer hitch measures out at 2” by 2”
- Works on trucks and other vehicles like a Jeep Wrangler and Honda Element
- The license plate will not be obscured
- Craftsmanship is unparalleled
- Extreme durability throughout the years
7. Goplus Pick-up Truck Bed Hitch Extender
With its heavy-duty construction, this extender could be the perfect fit for your truck. As a great bed extender option, this product is made from steel with a black finish that is completely coated. Every hitch extender connects flawlessly with a 2’” hitch receiver. Also, there is an adaptor if you are looking to connect it with your hitch with another fitting.
If you are hauling something long distances, this product is for you. Oversized cargo will be easily handled with this great extender. Know that this extender can hold over 700 pounds of weight. No matter how you adjust the receiver, horizontally or vertically, you can carry almost any payload. Included in your purchase, you will receive a flag and reflective tape to caution other vehicles that are nearby. This tape can be added to the extender to prevent any accidents from happening in the nighttime. When you are done with the extender, it is easy to store in a garage or a basement.
- Stainless steel appearance
- Only weighs 25 pounds
- Length from the hit to the end can be adjustable
- Height is adjustable from 4 to 10 inches
- Extremely sturdy construction
- Comes in well-packaged material
8. MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender
MaxxHaul is another brand that you should pay attention to. They make a great truck bed extender that will blow your mind. It is specifically made to take on bigger payloads that fit with a universal 2-inch receiver for your hitch. With widths and lengths that can be adjusted, they are many ways to use this hitch to the best of our abilities.
By using the 4 clevis pins, you can install and take on your hitch-mount with extreme ease. While you are traveling from Point A to Point B, you can be safe with the used of reflective tape. This will help you and others for added safety and visibility. Also, some sidearms fold down to create a workspace that you will use. At just over 34 pounds, this is one of the heavier options on the market. But, do no be dismayed. It will not weigh you down, and it will be sturdy enough to get the job done right.
- The width can be adjusted from 28-1/4 – 48-3/4 inches
- Can hold up to 350 pounds of weight
- Perfect for carrying kayaks, lumber, and ladders
- Made of strong steel
- Covered with a powder-coat finish
- Company encourages honest feedback from its product
- Shipping takes less than a week
9. Lund 601021 Hitch Mounted Truck Bed Extender
The best truck bed extenders that help make your life easier come from the company Lund, too. When extending the length of your payload, you can get more done in a short time than you ever thought possible. There are 7-inches of ground clearance, so you will be able to travel safely around wherever you need to go.
Also, if you are looking to get some woodworking done, the extender doubles as a sawhorse to help you along, too. With every purchase, you will receive the bed extender itself, reflective tape, flag, and instructions. Know that the standard fit to the receiver hitch is 2-inches to get you moving in the right direction. At 46 pounds, this product is quite heavy, but very durable as well. Since it is the Department of Transportation (DOT) approved, we recommend this product as one of your options to consider.
No matter what you buy an extender for, Lund has done this one right. You can buy it online, or go down to your nearest hardware store to pick up one today.
- Adjustable from 27-49 inches
- Can carry up to 750 pounds of weight
- The thickness of the steel construction is ¼-inch
- Includes hitch pins for overall safety
- Amazing versatility to play with
- Easy to assemble and install
- Made of high-quality materials
10. AA Products Aluminum Alloy Bed Extender
The last pickup bed extender on our list comes from AA Products. This extender is the perfect option to fit into brands like Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet, and Dodge. Its torque-resistant shell is designed to make the user’s life easier, not harder. You can flip the extender out on your tailgate to add more room. On the other hand, you can flip it back inside the truck bed and close the tailgate. This way, you can store small items in one place, so they do not move around in your truck bed.
Made of strong materials, the aluminum alloy is very lightweight and sturdy enough to last year after year. With a color-coated black finish, the sleek design will catch other’s attention. To install this product, it will only take you a few minutes to get everything in order. Contact AA Product directly if you have any problems or questions about the product itself. With all this in mind, examine this product as a future choice for you and your lifestyle.
- Extender only weighs 22.6 pounds
- One of the newer products on the market
- Material is rustproof
- Gives users an extra 26-inches of space
- Can sit under truck covers
- Solid support with whatever you need to get done
- Relatively inexpensive model to purchase
Things To Consider When Buying Truck Bed Extender
When searching for your folding bed extender, it is important to understand a few factors that may go into your decision-making process. These different factors include compatibility, type of bed, material design, assembly, and additional components to consider. When you short through these different features, then you will be able to make an educated decision for which extender to buy.
If you are making for your extender purchase, understanding compatibility will help you in the long run. Extenders do a great job of fitting most of the time. The problem starts to occur when the product does not fit the specific truck you own. Before you make a purchase, make sure it will fit your vehicle. The width of your truck will be the difference between if it fits and if you will have some trouble.
Also, if you are thinking about a hitch-mounted extender, you could have compatibility issues with the hitch if it is smaller or bigger than the 2-inches. This is just another reason to make sure you are on the same page with the product you choose.
2. Type of Bed
There are two types of beds that you need to be aware of with a best truck bed extender. The first type you should know is the tailgate extender. This is essential for people who have a tonneau or truck cover, but they do not need a huge extender. The other type of extender is hitch-mount. It will mount into a hitch on your vehicle. Your bed can double in size with a hitch-mount, and you can also extend stuff on your roof as well. This is the longest type of extension that money can buy.
Other extenders that you may look into include a slide-out or storage drawer extender. These might be good options for you as well, but the first tow mentions are the most popular on the market today.
3. Material Design
Primarily, the construction of extenders needs to hold up with excess weight on its foundation. So, the best type of construction includes materials such as aluminum and steel. However, if you are looking to buying a tailgate extender, then you do not need it as strong material. This is because the product is not holding the weight of items, but rather holding them in. Tailgate extenders can get the job done with carbon fiber and plastic, which works just as well.
Nevertheless, work with material that will not rust or corrode. This way, your product will last and be able to assemble and take apart with ease. Life should be easy, and products with these types of material will do the trick.
When installing your extender to your truck, you should have fairly simple instructions. Some will ask you to buy or include a tool to get your extender mounted appropriately. Any parts of your extended should be lightweight and be simple to handle.
If you have a hitch extender, make sure that you have enough space in your garage to raise it up and down. This way, you will not damage your garage if you are changing settings. If your garage is too low, manually change the height outside for best results. For most products, there should be no drilling at all. Other tools can attach your extender without damaging your vehicle.
5. Additional Components
The very best extenders out there should have additional attachments that you can add to your vehicle. This will add more security to your truck and better efficiency in the long run. Whenever you are using your extender, make sure that you add the reflectors onto the product, so you and others around you on the road can be safe. This reflective tape is perfect in the day and nighttime.
Another safety measure is adding a red flag to your payload during the day. This will reduce the chances of people hitting you when you are driving your haul around. Other kits will include hardware to mount your extender in your truck bed. These parts can be the most useful of all.
Types of Truck Bed Extenders
As mentioned earlier, there are 4 types of truck extenders. They include the standard u-shape construction, bed extender, cargo slide, and storage drawer extender. From these 4 options, you are bound to find an extender that will work for you.
One of the best truck bed extenders is the one with a u-shape design. If the items you want to haul around are not longer than your truck bed than this extender is for you. Specifically, they are made from metal or plastic, and it can provide another 2-feet with the truck bed down. This is a super-convenient option if you like to carry around stuff that is more than a normal truck bed could handle.
- Bed Extender
A bed extender is perfect if you have a hitch mount to connect to your truck. This is the best option if you are looking to haul items that are longer than your truck bed and tailgate combined. You can place the support arms where you think is best of your storage load. This way, you can transport your cargo safely wherever you roam.
- Cargo Slide
Cargo slides are not as common at the previously mentioned product, but it may work out for you and your lifestyle. This allows for the easiest of accesses when storing items. Think of the cargo slide as drawers. Additionally, it mimics an extender if you need it to as well. With the right kind of hitch, you can have added support that will stay safely in place.
- Storage Drawer
A storage drawer is also a nice option to hold extra items. If you need it to, you can use it as an extender to help you will all your hauling needs, too. Even though this option is probably the least used option in today’s day and age, it could still reap a lot of success if you use it right.
Benefits of Truck Bed Extenders
There are countless benefits that we could point to when talking about bed extenders. But, we will just focus on a few in this article. The adage that “more is better” rings true as a benefit for owning an extender. When you have an extender, you can haul more and more things around. You really will be living the America Dream because hauling stuff means you will own more stuff.
Also, an extender will not only work on a truck, but SUVs, UTVs, and ATVs can haul stuff around using the same extender. Another great benefit is the fact that an extender makes it easier for you to keep smaller items from moving around in the back of your truck. If you own a tonneau cover, the worst thing possible if having an item roll to the back of the bed and then you have to undo your cover to get the items. This will not happen with an extender because it will keep all your items close-by.
Extenders can also be great in other vehicles like a van. With an extender, you can store items on the roof as you drive. After you have tied everything down safely, you will save money on fuel and maintenance with your use of an economical extender.
One of the last benefits is for professional use. If you are a ranch owner or farmer, you can carry tools in the back of your extender, or you can haul kayaks if you are taking clients around. The extender is truly great any season of the year. Nature lovers can haul their gear out to an uncharted location. Others can haul goods across the city with ease. No matter what you choose, a bed extender is worth every penny.
How to Install A Truck Bed Extender
For starters, the best truck bed extenders need to be easy to install and easy to use. After you have decided on the right product for you, a hitch mount will be needed to lock with the extender. If you got a traditional u-shaped or the newer v-shaped model, straps and clips work wonder to safely connect in your truck bed. The snap-in with the interior edge of any tailgate, and it will stay locked until you safely undo it.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions about Truck Bed Extenders
Of course, many questions are asked when dealing with truck extenders. But, do not let it get you down. We have compiled the top 5 questions for you to sort through to help you make the best decision possible when it comes to extenders.
Q-1: How do I match the right hitch size?
- This might seem like an overwhelming question at first, but do not overthink it. No matter what kind of scale you have, measure the width and length of your hitch. Measure the inside of the hitch if your extender will be placed there. Online resources can help you in a mighty way, too.
- If all else fails, get an extra pair of eyes to help you in the process. This could be a neighbor, co-worker, or trained professional to help you achieve your goals of getting a great extender. Never feel like you have to do these things on your own. Isolation on a project like this will only increase the chances of you making the wrong purchase. In this case, you can definitely as for help.
Q-2: What does it mean when the product is DOT regulated?
- If an extender is DOT regulated, that means that the Department of Transportation has made up rules to help truck drivers around the United States of America. An approval from DOT means that the extender has overcome heavy testing to be approved for people across the country. Having a marking like this is a big deal for extender brands across the states.
- As a customer, this should give you peace of mind if you see this on the product you are interested in. The more awards and certifications a product has, the better product you will have in terms of safety, efficiency, and longevity.
Q-3: What is next if my receptor and extender do not connect?
- If you come to this problem, some adaptors can mesh the two connects. However, if you get to this point, you have not done your homework. If you measure appropriate and take your time to find the right product with help from others, you should not run into this problem.
Q-4: What is the best extender to buy?
- This question depends on what you want from your extender. If you want an extender that fits inside your truck bed, go with the traditional u-shape options. However, if you are hauling even bigger loads, then it may be time for a hitch extender to haul long loads.
- Or maybe you have smaller loads to organize. A storage drawer or cargo slide will be just right for you. Whatever you decide, take your time. There should be no rush when buying the right extender.
Q-5: Would you say that extenders are universal for all trucks?
- Most truck extenders these days are made for a specific make and model. This means that you can’t mix and match if you have a Ford extender, but you run with a Toyota Tacoma. Now, some can work on a few different trucks, but the majority are focused on their brand only.
- Only buy a universal extender if you are planning to sell your truck to get a different make and model. Then, you can take out your extender and put it in the new model. For every other extender, buy the one that is perfect for your truck. In the end, this will make all the difference in having an o.k. extender and a great one.
Well, we have come to the end of our extender review. With all the newfound information on top brands, benefits, installation methods, and more, you should be well on your way to making the best decision possible. The task may seem overwhelming at first. But, the more that you research and the more that you dive in, the more you will become a trained professional in the category of truck extenders. Good luck in finding the right match for your truck. When do you find the perfect fit, get ready to be amazed by what it will do to add value to your truck and your life. Best of luck with your new extender! You will not regret your truck extender in the slightest.