At some stage, everyone will need a ladder. However, ladders can be a bit awkward to transport, use, and store. You will be able to avoid a lot of the impractical aspects of normal ladders by choosing the best telescopic ladder from our list.
This type of ladder is an awesome invention that can be extended to a very large height but can be stored in a very small space when collapsed. A telescopic ladder collapses into itself much like the old-fashioned telescopes. These ladders can be found anywhere, but choosing the right one for your needs may prove to be a frustrating challenge.
10 Best Telescopic Ladder: At A Glance
|1. Xtend & Climb 15.5-ft CS155250 Telescoping Ladder|
|2. Little Giant 14016-001 22-ft Telescopic Ladder|
|3. Werner MT-22 ft Telescoping Ladders|
|4. Xtend & Climb 780P12.5-Ft Telescoping Ladder|
|5. WolfWise EN131 12.5-Ft Telescoping Ladder|
|6. OxGord12.5-Ft Telescopic Extension Ladder|
|7. LuisladdersOshion12.5-Ft Telescopic Ladder|
|8. Yesker 12.5-ft Telescoping Ladder|
|9. Ohuhu 12.5 Ft Telescopic Extension Ladder|
|10. Ollieroo 12.5-Ft Telescopic Extension Ladder|
In this review guide, we’ve selected some of the highest quality telescopic ladders on the market for you to choose from. Whether you need a telescopic ladder for your home or for work, you’ll find the right one for your needs on our list of the top 10 ladders available right now.
- Top 10 Best Telescopic Ladder Reviews:
- 1. Xtend & Climb 15.5-foot CS155250 Telescoping Ladder
- 2. Little Giant 14016-001 22-foot Telescopic Ladder
- 3. Werner MT-22 foot Telescoping Ladders
- 4. Xtend & Climb 780P12.5-Foot Telescoping Ladder
- 5. WolfWise EN131 12.5-Foot Telescoping Ladder
- 6. OxGord12.5-Foot Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 7. LuisladdersOshion12.5-Foot Telescopic Ladder
- 8. Yesker 12.5-foot Telescoping Ladder
- 9. Ohuhu 12.5 FT Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 10. Ollieroo 12.5-Foot Telescopic Extension Ladder
- 11. 16.5-Foot Aluminum, Telescoping Extension Ladder
- 12. Telescoping Ladder Extension
- 13. WolfWise 10.5-Foot Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
- 14. ACKO Folding 4-Step Ladder With Convenient Handgrip
- 15. Handvoll Telescoping Ladder
- 16. Lionladder 12.5-foot ANSI Type I Aluminum Telescoping Ladders
- 17. Flash Enterprise 12.5-Feet Extendable Telescoping Aluminum Portable Ladder
- 18. Good Life 15.5-Foot Telescopic Professional Folding Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
- 19. Telesteps 1600E OSHA Compliant 16-Foot Reach Telescoping Extension Ladder
- 20. Hausse 12.5-Foot Upgrade Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
- 21. Cosco 20311T1ASE Smarclose Telescoping Aluminum Ladder
- 22. FAKRO LMS 66867 Insulted Steel Attic Ladder
- Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Buying A Telescopic Ladder
- Types of Ladders – Telescoping vs Others
- Safety Tips for Using Telescopic Ladders
- Benefits of Having A Telescopic Ladder
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Telescopic Ladder
Top 10 Best Telescopic Ladder Reviews:
1. Xtend & Climb 15.5-foot CS155250 Telescoping Ladder
This telescoping ladder from Xtend& Climb represents the ultimate in climbing tool safety and convenience. It comes with angled rounds that make it more comfortable to stand on for extended periods of time. This is admittedly one of the best quality telescopic ladders you’ll find anywhere.
It has a matte black finish that not only looks amazing but also makes the ladder resistant to scratches and dents. It’s durable, easy to clean, and portable enough to move around even on the most hazardous job sites.
With a weight of just 40 pounds, this ladder is easy for anyone to carry around. When closed it measures just 36.5 inches which is great for easy storage. This particular brand is very easy to extend and close, but you need to be very careful when closing it because it’s easy to catch your fingers.
Whenever you close it one of the rungs may seem not to close all the way, but keep closing the other rungs and you’ll find that the last one will close nicely. The ladder is very easy to maneuver even when extended, which makes it great for having around the house especially if your family will need to use it when you’re not around.
- Ladder locks and extends by the foot
- Ladder retracts and telescopes compactly
- It comes with an integrated carry handle
- The ladder has a heavy-duty closure strap
- ANSI and OSHA rated for the ultimate in safety
2. Little Giant 14016-001 22-foot Telescopic Ladder
This telescopic ladder is very safe to use. It comes with 22-inch hinge locks and has telescopic sides that are designed for safety. If you’re looking for the highest quality adjustable extension ladder at the most affordable price, this could very well be what you searching for.
It has an A-frame ladder, staircase ladder, as well as a trestle-and-plant scaffolding system. It also has wide flared legs that have rubberized feet. Overall, the high-quality construction of the Little Giant gives you unmatched stability whenever you use the ladder.
Because it’s made with aerospace-grade aluminum, this ladder is durable and super strong. It’s rated to hold up to 250 pounds on both sides, which makes it perfect for medium-sized jobs. This is a great telescopic ladder to have for your home or workplace.
It comes in 13-foot and 17-foot reach, but bear in mind that if you get the 13-foot reach ladder, it means that it’s only 11 feet tall when fully extended straight. Also, you need to keep in mind that’s you will lose some height if you lean the ladder against the wall. The 17-foot model gives you 4 additional feet which means the ladder will rise above the gutter line, for instance, giving you more safety and stability.
- High-grade aluminum construction for durability
- Ladder offers multiple configurations
- Complies with all safety standards including OSHA and ANSI
- Extension maximum height reach of 19 feet
- Storage height of 5.7 inches
- Telescopic ladder best price on the market
3. Werner MT-22 foot Telescoping Ladders
This telescopic ladder has soft-touch push knobs which make it very versatile. It’s a professional-grade ladder that has double-riveted steps and heavy-duty non-slip feet for resistance. The Werner MT-22 will help you get your job done fast. It offers incredible versatility and it’s the only ladder you’ll ever need for home and for work.
It can easily be transformed into an easy to use twin stepladder or an extension ladder you can even use it as a stairway stepladder or as two scaffold bases. If you’re looking for versatility, this is the best rated telescopic ladder for your needs. It’s ideal for both outdoor and indoor jobs, and it is ergonomically constructed using high-quality, durable materials.
This multi-ladder is one that will have multiple purposes around the home or your business. In addition to offering multiple working positions, this versatile ladder is available in four different models which give you the opportunity to choose the perfect size for your individual applications. It’s important to note that the plank to be used with the two scuffle basis is not included.
- This telescopic ladder has 300 pounds maximum load capacity
- It converts into a twin stepladder, extension ladder, stairway stepladder, and two scaffold bases
- The smooth curve trails offer comfortable climbing
- Double riveted steps provide long-lasting durability
- Easy height adjustments with spring-loaded J-locks
4. Xtend & Climb 780P12.5-Foot Telescoping Ladder
This telescopic ladder from Extend & Climb comes with a heavy-duty 225-pound rating and is engineered and manufactured to meet or exceed the rigid industrial standards. With its no-pinch closure mechanism and non-slip caps to ensure your safety during use, this is one of the best ladders of this type you can get.
It has an integrated carry handle and a heavy-duty strap for closing, and it also extends and locks in foot long increments. Made using 6061 alloy aluminum, this telescopic ladder weighs a mere 26 pounds. It saves you a lot of time and effort if you have to move it around on the job site. If you want a safe, affordable ladder, this is the best rated telescopic ladder for the price.
This Professional Edition ladder is a great alternative to the traditional bulky ladders. In addition to being lightweight,it’s also durable. It’s designed for both commercial use and home do-it-yourselfers with its economic design and locking tabs which ensure safe and smooth operation.
The strength and safety-first design of this ladder make it one of the most favored tools on the job site. The no-pinch closure mechanism is a particular favorite, and the ladder can easily be adjusted to whatever height you need for your job. This comes in really handy when you don’t want to lug around a heavy extension ladder.
- Heavy-duty construction for durability
- No-pinch closure mechanism thanks to an angled thumb release
- Integrated handle and closure strap for portability
- 6-month warranty on parts and repair
- Red and green locking indicators ensure safe operation
5. WolfWise EN131 12.5-Foot Telescoping Ladder
When designing this ladder, one thing that the WolfWise brand heavily emphasized was the ease of operation and storage. The manufacturer overcame repeated errors in trials, to come out with a smaller compact size for storage and a ladder that is easier and safer to use.
The extension and retraction are much smoother compared to the competition, and this telescopic ladder also has independent locking. It has a total of 12 steps and separate locking bottoms located on rungs two through eleven. Users can adjust the height of the ladder using the independent locks.
This means that you are able to use this ladder for your specific requirements such as hanging picture frames repairing ceiling lights or painting walls. It can be used both indoors and outdoors. Don’t let the ladder’s compact size or lightweight fool you, it easily supports up to 330 pounds while having the ability to be extended to over 12 feet in just seconds.
This means that a single person is easily able to carry, use, and store the ladder whether on a job site or simply changing a lightbulb in your home. If you’re in the market for the top rated telescopic ladder for the price, this is one you should definitely consider.
- Extremely lightweight for effortless portability
- All ladder sections are designed for safety when opening and closing
- Non-slip caps to hold ladder firmly in place as you work
- The ladder comes with a heavy-duty strap for convenient transport and storage
- Versatile 1-foot section increments to satisfy various height needs
6. OxGord12.5-Foot Telescopic Extension Ladder
This 12.5-foot offering from OxGord is made with high-quality aluminum and supports a maximum weight of up to 250 pounds. It can easily support this weight at a 75-degree angle from the ground. Measuring just 41 inches when collapsed, this ladder weighs an impressive 24.2 pounds, which makes it extremely easy to carry around from one location to the next.
When compared to other units in the same category, the telescopic extension ladder from OxGord has the advantage of locking at every step via the use of two steel pins. When it’s fully extended, the pins spring into place automatically. This ladder also comes with a handy strap that holds all the rungs together when it’s not in use.
The ease of using this ladder is unparalleled. This is an aspect that most people are concerned with when it comes to using telescopic ladders, but you don’t have to worry about this one. Whenever you open the ladder up, you hear a click which lets you know that it’s safe to continue extending.
Ideal for home or commercial use, this ladder is exactly what avid DIYers and busy professionals need. It even comes with a one-year warranty for labor and parts. Just be careful when collapsing the ladder as it tends to pinch the fingers.
- Non-slip foot grips for added safety
- Has an anti-pinch function as part of the safety locking feature
- EN 131-certified for your peace of mind
- Maximum weight capacity of 330 pounds
- Super easy to extend or collapse and comes with a carry bag
7. LuisladdersOshion12.5-Foot Telescopic Ladder
If you’re considering replacing your old ladder with a telescopic ladder, this is one you should consider. It’s not only effective and easier to use, but it’s also made of high-quality, lightweight aluminum which is durable and strong. If you’re going to be using your telescopic ladder frequently, it’s important to ensure that it’s strong enough to take all that weight.
The LuisladdersOshion 12.5-foot ladder can take weights of up to 330 pounds. It features an innovative locking system and the thumb buttons are specifically designed to keep your fingers protected. In comparison with a lot of other models on the market right now, this ladder opens and closes in a way that is a lot easier and safer.
It also comes equipped with bottom caps, angled feet, and double grip handles. This means that it won’t slip during use, it also won’t tilt if you’re using it on a surface that is stable, and you’ll be able to carry it around a lot more conveniently.
One of the absolute best things about this ladder is its four-way combination system which means that the ladder can be used for a variety of purposes. For instance, you can use it as a twin stepladder, extension ladder, stairway stepladder, or as two scaffold bases. Being lightweight and portable, you’ll have no issues moving this ladder from one job site to another.
- Foldable telescopic-style ladder with multiple uses
- Conveniently easy to carry around, transport and store
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor projects
- Meets and exceeds safety standards
- Made from premium aluminum alloy for durability
8. Yesker 12.5-foot Telescoping Ladder
This ladder is built with 18-inch pipes, whereas most other similar ladders are built using 16-inch pipes. This means that the Yesker ladder is safer to use and more durable than the rest. Great for both professional and home use, this telescopic ladder can be increased in increments of one foot per rung.
If you’re looking for a ladder that you can use on a daily basis, the heavy-duty construction of this particular one makes it the ideal choice. In addition to being super tough, this telescoping ladder is also extremely lightweight. It’s great for those maintenance jobs where you have to continually move the ladder from one spot to another.
The ladder closes to a compact 36 inches for easy storage in your car, garage, or any other place. It has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and comes with spring-loaded bolts that lock each rung section in place to give you added safety.
- ANSI-certified for safety
- Closes to just 36 inches for easy storage and transportation
- Spring-loaded locking mechanism
- Extends in 1-foot increments up to 12.5 feet
- Made using heavy-duty aluminum for durability
9. Ohuhu 12.5 FT Telescopic Extension Ladder
This product from Ohuhu is EN 131-certified and has a spring-loaded locking mechanism for ease of use. It can handle a weight of up to 330 pounds comfortably. If you’re tired of lugging a bulky, cumbersome ladder around, make your life a little easier with this extension ladder.
Made from high-grade aluminum alloy, this ladder is durable, lightweight, and strong. It has impressive portability and versatility. You can use it to help you clean the gutters, windows, repair the roof, paint walls, and a whole lot more.
The easy extension and retraction make this a winner for those looking for a ladder that is conveniently easy to use and store away. If you’re always on the go, this is the best rated telescopic ladder to consider for your home or work.
- Easy extension and quick one-button retraction
- Comes with carrying strap for compact transportation
- Easy-lift grips on the sides of the ladder
- Made from high-quality aluminum alloy for durability and stability
- EN 131-certified for ultimate safety
10. Ollieroo 12.5-Foot Telescopic Extension Ladder
The Ollieroo 12.5-foot telescopic ladder has a spring-loaded locking design, non-slip coating on the feet, and a maximum weight capacity of 330 pounds.
It’s certified by EN 131 to meet all the European Safety Standards and it’s made using an anodized aluminum alloy which is not only strong and lightweight but also helps to prevent damage from rust and corrosion.
The stable locking key located between the rungs helps to prevent bumping and friction which could lead to a loss of your ladder’s structural integrity. If you’re in the market for a high-quality, safe and affordable telescopic ladder, this one offers great value for money.
- High-quality telescopic ladder from a trusted brand
- 12 steps unfold in 1-foot increments
- Thumb buttons for safe and effortless closing
- Made from durable, rust-resistant aluminum alloy
- EN 131-certified for safety
11. 16.5-Foot Aluminum, Telescoping Extension Ladder
This amazing A-Frame ladder is the perfect portable option for you to consider. As a multi-purpose folding ladder, you will be able to safely reach the tallest places. Also, it holds 330 pounds, so you can trust that it will hold you when you are up high in the sky.
Since this is a quality extension ladder, you can start it at 2.8 feet and raise it to over 16 feet. When you are done with the product, you can use the storage straps to store and carry the product around. With 15 different rungs, the ladder will snap in place. This ladder is ideal for fixing lights, pictures frames, and paintings around the house.
You can even use this product outside if you so desire. But, before you get to work, make sure the locks are in place. Nothing would be worse if you fell off the ladder because safety precautions were not met.
- Made of aluminum
- Only weighs 37.5 pounds
- Non-slip steps will keep you grounded
- Amazing value for the money you pay
- Each step width is 12-inches
12. Telescoping Ladder Extension
Another great multi-purpose ladder is made by Energy Bear. This telescoping option can reach 18.5 feet, and it is completely made out of aluminum. The ladder is industrial grade, so it is perfect for household chores or if you need it during an emergency to get out of a second-story window.
This model can hold up to 330 pounds, so you can rest assured that the loading capacity will not crumble under you. Each step is also non-slip, so you will stay connected to the ladder. There are even wheels at the bottom of the ladder, so it will move around gracefully, but stick in place when you need it to.
If you are looking for a space-saving ladder, this one will definitely do the trick as well. The ladder can retract as small as 3.7 feet, so you can truly store anywhere in your house without it getting in the way. Use this ladder to adjust a camera, badminton net, or to help fix a light. The possibilities are endless.
- Uses mechanical locking technology
- Made with polyester rope
- The ladder weighs 35 pounds
- Comes with 15 steps
- Simple installation with this ladder
13. WolfWise 10.5-Foot Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
Even though this ladder might not be the tallest one you could buy, this is a quality product you may want to take advantage of. The ladder itself uses a one-button system to help the ladder retract to whatever form you would like.
Each step will fall slowly to keep you and the ones around you safe. Additionally, the retraction process only takes 5 to 8 seconds, so there will be no wasted time on your end. You will not have your fingers pinched either.
Made of aluminum alloy, this ladder can hold over 300 pounds, so almost anyone can use this product safely. Because of the amazing retraction technology, you can store this ladder in tight spaces without any problems. Use the closure straps to contain the ladder, and you will be good to go.
- The ladder weighs just over 20 pounds
- Ideal for painting walls
- The width between the rungs is 10-inches
- Aluminum is corrosion-resistant
- Very simple to use
14. ACKO Folding 4-Step Ladder With Convenient Handgrip
This might not be the tallest ladder of the bunch, but ACKO makes this anti-slip option for you to consider. With a sturdy design and wide pedals, this ladder can hold 330 pounds at one time. The portability of this product is something that countless others have taken advantage of.
A GS Certificate should give you peace of mind knowing this product has gone through the necessary safety steps. Additionally, this ladder only weighs 17.5 pounds, so you can move it around to your liking. When you are done using this ladder, it folds up to 4.5-inches, so storage is about as simple as it comes.
This ladder will never scratch your floors, as you move it around either. With its wide stance, you can use this ladder safely in a home or out in your garage or shop. A ladder like this is perfect for painting or cleaning those hard to get places. The back cross brace will keep you upright, allowing you to focus on the task at hand, and not if the ladder is going to hold up or not.
- Can be returned in 60 if your product has any troubles
- Made of plastic and steel
- Shipped fully assembled
- Ideal for washing windows
- Very inexpensive option
15. Handvoll Telescoping Ladder
When it comes to the Handvoll ladder, know that it can reach to 15.5-feet. This ladder is made from aluminum, meaning it is heavy-duty enough to hold-up when you are on the ladder, but light enough so you can carry it around with ease.
Slip-proof feet are another thing you will like about this ladder. You will never have to worry about falling when it comes to this option. Are you needing to make a quick adjustment to the ladder to make it taller or shorter? You can shrink the ladder to as small as 3-feet, making it easier to put away when you are finished.
Having a professional-grade ladder like this one is one you can trust. With an EN131 certification, professional contractors all over the world use this ladder because of its corrosion-resistant make-up. You can use it as well wherever you roam.
- Only weighs 23 pounds
- Made with L-shaped rubber feet
- Steps are ridged
- Can hold 330 pounds
- Inclination goes up to 75 degrees
- Each rung has 2 pins that lock
16. Lionladder 12.5-foot ANSI Type I Aluminum Telescoping Ladders
If you are still in the market for an extendable ladder, this telescopic ladder could do wonders for you. With an intel-release system, there will be no more pinched fingers when you work with this ladder. Its compact size is great for storing when you are all finished with its services, too. The ladder will even fit under a bed or in a car’s trunk.
Made of aerospace aluminum, you will see the difference when it comes to durability and sturdiness. At only 28.5 pounds, this ladder will not be hard to carry it around to help you complete your projects.
With anti-drop nodes, there is no chance of this ladder breaking down on you, while you are on it. When you have adjusted it to perfection, you will be able to change lightbulbs and clean windows like you never thought possible.
- The ladder reacts an incline of 75 degrees
- Comes with an ANSI and building materials certificate
- A 2-year limited warranty is included with your purchase
- Can hold up to 330 pounds
- Amazing space saver design
- Highly recommended because of its adjustable height
17. Flash Enterprise 12.5-Feet Extendable Telescoping Aluminum Portable Ladder
Most ladders do not have finger protection spacers, but this one is the exception. Flash Enterprise prides itself on safety and that is exactly what they have focused on with this product. By being EN131 certified, this ladder can hold weight up to 330 pounds. Because it has been job site tested, durability and safety are key for Flash Enterprise.
This ladder can adjust from 3.5-feet to 12-feet in no time at all. It will stay in place, and if you are not completely satisfied with this purchase, there is a money-back guarantee where you will get a full refund back to you.
- Made with non-slip mats
- The ladder only weighs 23 pounds
- Could be used as an escape ladder if needed
- Made in the country of China
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
18. Good Life 15.5-Foot Telescopic Professional Folding Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
This sensational extension ladder comes spring loaded while locking into the position you need it to be in. Created for professional use in mind, this well-constructed piece of technology can be used in your home as well. The ladder extends every foot and can hold a load of 330 pounds.
Crafted with the help of aerospace aluminum alloy, you will never get pinched when using this product. When the ladder is in place, the bottom will not slip out of place on you. Also, when you are finished using this ladder, it will not weigh you down, as you try to haul it around. The ladder is lightweight enough, with the help of a carrying handle, that you will not break your back in the process.
Between every rung of steps, there are 14-inches to play with, so it will be easy for you to make the ascent up the ladder. Lastly, remember that anytime you use this ladder, you are covered by the ANSI certification.
- Uses slide tab release
- Perfect for an RV
- Very easy to use
- Full-extension version
- Ranges from 5 to just over 15 feet
19. Telesteps 1600E OSHA Compliant 16-Foot Reach Telescoping Extension Ladder
Telesteps makes the next great ladder for you to try. It is a Type 1, 250 pound rated option that only weighs 23 pounds. With this automatic ladder, all you need to handle is a one-touch release to make the ladder move on its own.
The feet on this telescoping ladder are made completely of silicone, allowing you the safest grip on the planet. Since this product has been tested by ANSI, you can be sure that this ladder will hold up at the most crucial of times.
Storing will never be an issue with this ladder either. It will shrink down extra small for you to place the ladder anywhere you please. This truly is a revolutionary ladder for the masses.
- Retracts to 30-inches
- Used by the United States military
- Ideal for the office, home, or boat
- Replacement parts are available if anything negative happens with the product
- Comes with a one-year warranty
20. Hausse 12.5-Foot Upgrade Aluminum Telescoping Ladder
Hausse has really come up with a spectacular option for you to take notice of. This multi-purpose ladder has detachable hooks on the top. This allows you to stay in place to add even more security to your ladder. With 12 separate steps, you can get a long way up in the air.
This ladder is perfect for professional use, the home, or in the case of emergencies. With 330 pounds of loading capacity, almost anyone can stay on this ladder safely. Also, there are end caps that will hold and never slip. This will give you great traction when using the ladder.
When looking to raise or retract the ladder, you can unlock the section every foot to tailor the ladder exactly as you want it. Since it is made of aluminum alloy, you will never have to worry about corrosion or other issues.
- Retracts to a quarter of its size
- Comes with a strap and bag
- The product weighs just over 27 pounds
- Reaches the top of a roof with ease
- Great stability
21. Cosco 20311T1ASE Smarclose Telescoping Aluminum Ladder
The next model is made by Cosco, and it is sure to turn heads. By holding up to 300 pounds, this ladder has a reach of 14-feet. If you are a do-it-yourself individual and/or a homeowner, there is no reason why you should not get this product. Chores and projects will be a breeze.
Also, as you move the ladder up and down, you will never get pinched. When you are done with it, the ladder is compact enough for you to move and store safely in a place of your choice. With a Type 1A rating from ANSI, the ladder lives up to safety standards.
- Locking indicators mount every step showing the color green
- There are 3 climbing heights of 12, 14, and 16-feet
- Quick shipping
- Comes in the color silver
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
22. FAKRO LMS 66867 Insulted Steel Attic Ladder
The last ladder on the list comes to us from Fakro. This model, in particular, is a ladder for attics. As one of the easiest installs, you will ever deal with, you can adjust the ladder between 7 to 10-feet. The door frame is also insulated, so you will not get a draft in your house.
The door to this ladder opens and closes effectively, without any jerking movements. An individual weighing up to 350 pounds can use this ladder with no problems at all. Back by a 2-year warranty, this product is one that will last you longer than you ever thought possible.
The ladder itself is made of metal that is powder-coated, and it only weighs 65 pounds. On the other hand, the wooden door has a rubber gasket seal for added protection.
- Has a 5.2 R-Value
- The hatch is the color beige
- Can cut the stairs to size
- Simple installation kit will help you get the job done right
- Well-built and connectable to ceiling joists
- Sturdy ladder frame
Buying Guide: Things To Consider When Buying A Telescopic Ladder
These height-adjustable collapsible ladders offer a lot of conveniences, particularly in confined spaces. When choosing which ladder to go with, it’s a good idea to select the best telescopic ladder for your needs based on the variety of important factors listed below.
Maximum Weight Capacity
This is one of the first things you need to consider. How much weight do you need the ladder to carry safely? Product descriptions will often show the max weight capacity that each ladder can safely handle. If you’re not the only person who is going to be using the ladder, you need to take that into consideration as well. Also, how heavy is the equipment you’ll be taking up the ladder?
All these things should be summed up to arrive at the ideal figure. Fortunately, most telescopic ladders these days are made from high-quality materials that can easily handle massive loads.
Safety should always be a consideration when buying a telescopic ladder. You need one with a high safety rating for it maximum weight carrying capacity. Make sure that you choose one with the highest-ranking possible so that you can have the peace of mind of knowing you’re safe whenever you use it. There are generally three different ratings you’ll come across when shopping for this type of ladder:
- OSHA – This is the Occupational Safety and Health Organization
- ANSI – The American National Standards Institute
- EN 131 – This is the European Safety System
If you see a telescopic ladder that doesn’t have any of these safety ratings, then don’t buy it otherwise you’re risking your health and your life every time you use it. Always make sure the ladder you choose is trusted and certified by at least one of the government organizations listed above.
Telescopic ladders come in varying heights. The highest is typically about 16 feet in length. Anything that goes over that will likely require a much wider and heavier design in order to ensure the safety of the entire mechanism.
This would certainly defeat the point since the main selling point of these collapsible ladders is that they are compact and lightweight for easy transport and storage. Once they are as heavy or as big as the traditional ladders, they lose their advantage.
Ease of Use
This is yet another important feature to look out for when buying a telescopic ladder. A lot of the telescoping ladder reviews online have a feature called ‘anti-finger jamming’ which prevents the ladder from pinching your fingers when you’re collapsing it after use.
Another feature is the multi-height adjustment which allows you to easily and conveniently select various heights of the ladder that suit your uses without having to expand the whole ladder. This saves a lot of time and effort and makes your life a lot easier when working on those kinds of projects that require you to constantly be moving the ladder as well as adjusting the height.
The cost of the telescopic ladder is obviously something to consider, but never sacrifice quality for price. You may find that some ladders which have a similar look and feel have vastly differing prices. This is mainly due to the quality of the materials used in the construction. Some manufacturers, in an effort to reduce costs, reduce the thickness of the aluminum used to make telescopic ladders.
Opting for a cheaper product means that you risk buying a cheaply made ladder that won’t last very long, or worse, one that could cause an accident due to faulty materials or manufacturing.
Types of Ladders – Telescoping vs Others
For the most part, the different types of projects that people are mostly involved with require different types of ladders. And although there are some types of ladders that can be used for multiple purposes, it’s usually best to choose the right type of ladder for that specific job. Listed below are the different types of ladders and how they stack up against each other.
- 1. Telescopic Ladders
These are ladders that look much like the conventional straight ladders but they are designed with sections that can be collapsed into themselves. It means that you could easily collapse a 16-foot telescopic ladder into a 35-inch high platform.
This is a feature that gives telescopic ladders a massive advantage over all other types of ladders, particularly when it comes to transporting and storing them in compact spaces. Telescopic ladders are also typically made using aluminum which is strong and durable but extremely lightweight – a major benefit that you will appreciate if you have to move the ladder around from one job to the next.
- 2. Straight Ladders
These are the traditional ladders made up of dual rails in a single section that is connected by steps. These are considered as the backbone of any type of ladder system and are generally the easiest to use. All you have to do is lean it against the wall, tree, or whatever other structure you want to climb up to, and you’re good to go.
The main disadvantage of using this type of ladder is the fact that they are very hard to move around, particularly if you have to transport them by car. They are also hard to store, especially if your straight ladder is an extremely long one.
- 3. Extension Ladders
This is a sort of a cross between the two types of ladders mentioned above. It’s made of two sections or more and the base is typically a thicker section that offers solid support to the other sections of the ladder which can slide up the frame and back down again.
Most extension ladders come with a pulley-and-rope system that you use to raise the upper sections of the ladder to your desired height. The ladder has a locking mechanism that ensures that the sections don’t slide back down while it’s in use.
- 4. Step Ladders
These come in two different types. A single step ladder only has stepped on the one side and the other type called a twin step ladder has stepped on both sides of the A-frame. These types of ladders are ideal for reaching places where there isn’t a sturdy surface where you can lean a conventional ladder.
- 5. Multi-position Ladders
This type of ladder is extremely versatile and allows you to configure them in many different ways. You can turn multi-position ladders into A-frame ladders, straight ladders, step ladders, scaffolding, and various other potential combinations.
- 6. Platform Ladders
Also called podium ladders, these are a kind of step ladder that comes with a stable platform for standing on at the top. This makes it easier and safer for people who need to complete certain projects while standing on ladders.
Safety Tips for Using Telescopic Ladders
Thanks to the way they are constructed, these types of ladders are more safety-focused than others. They have a lot more moving parts than a conventional step or straight ladders, which is why it’s necessary to have rigorous pre-use checks. But even the best telescopic ladder can be damaged by impact from use, storage, and transport, so it’s important to always check your ladder before using it.
Below we’ve listed some of the most important safety tips that you should follow when using telescopic ladders:
- Stabilize your telescopic ladder against a solid surface or tie it up before climbing it
- Always make sure you place the ladder at the correct angle to brace it sufficiently
- Don’t adjust the locking mechanisms for the rungs while you’re on the ladder
- Be careful when extending or closing the ladder as the mechanism can get damaged by closing too quickly.
- When climbing onto a floor, make sure that the top of the telescopic ladder is at least three feet above that particular landing platform.
- Don’t ever stand on the top step of the ladder
- Don’t carry loads on the way up or down the ladder as this can cause you to lose balance
- When working more than ten feet above ground level, always use a safety harness.
- Always observe the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the minimum overlapping distance for the ladder sections.
- Keep your telescopic ladder a safe distance away from pedestrian walkways and exit doors, and always use the appropriate markings.
- Stick to the three-point rule which states that you always need to have at least three parts of your body firmly on the ladder. This can either be two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot.
- The feet of your ladder should have non-slip padding. If it has worn off, then you shouldn’t use the ladder.
Benefits of Having A Telescopic Ladder
Buying a telescopic ladder instead of a conventional ladder comes with a series of benefits. For one thing, telescopic ladders are a lot easier to store. Once you’ve collapsed it back to its compact size, you’ll be able to conveniently store your ladder anywhere from the boot of your car to your garage, or even under your bed.
However, if you were to purchase a 16-ft straight ladder, it’s going to be hard to find ideal storage for it, which means that unless you have a massive garage, you might have to leave your ladder outside. Aside from the obvious disadvantage of making things a lot easier for the thieves, this is also not very practical and it can result in your ladder deteriorating much faster.
Another benefit of having a telescopic ladder as compared to the traditional types of ladders is that you get a lot more uses out of the former than you do the latter. For instance, if you need a 16-ft ladder to get to the roof in your home, you may need another, the much shorter one to get into your loft. This is where a telescopic ladder truly shines because you can use one ladder and easily adjust it to suit a variety of projects.
A third, but equally important benefit of having a telescopic ladder is that they are super lightweight. If you’ve ever had to carry a long, heavy ladder from one job site to the next over and over again, you’ll really appreciate this feature. With a telescopic ladder, you can even carry it to and from your car or anywhere using only one hand, whereas a conventional ladder would likely bash against things as you’re moving it around.
So whether you’re going to be using your ladder for light jobs around the house or if you want a professional telescopic ladder to tackle the tougher duties at work, having a telescopic ladder offers a lot of amazing benefits.
Quick Summary of Benefits:
- Compact size for convenient transport and storage
- Fairly lightweight and easy to manage
- Solid feet that can be stabilized on various surfaces
- Size can be adjusted for different types of situations
- Larger telescopic ladders fold in half and can be used as A-frame free-standing ladders.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Telescopic Ladder
Q-1: How should a telescopic ladder be stored?
- Unlike the majority of other systems, these types of ladders are conveniently easy to store. They fold up into small sizes of about 35 inches which means that they can fit virtually anywhere. The sections of the ladder, or rungs, slide into each other so the ladder is only as thick as the lowest rung even when closed.
- The ladders have straps so you can secure the rungs from sliding out when the ladder is not in use. There are some telescopic ladders that come with storage bags for your convenience. You can store your ladder anywhere such as in your garage or in the back of your truck or car.
Q-2: Can I extend and use my telescopic ladder at less than its maximum height?
- Yes. That’s one of the biggest advantages of using this type of ladder. It can be extended to just the height you need to achieve. You don’t have to fully extend the ladder each time you use it. Just keep in mind that this feature is limited by how much the rung can be adjusted. For instance, if each of your ladder’s rungs is adjustable in 1-ft increments it means you can have either a 6-ft ladder or a 7-ft ladder, but not a 6.5-ft ladder.
- This is how you can extend your ladder to suit your needs. You can basically use it at any length as long as you keep the height under the maximum height for the ladder.
Q-3: How does a telescopic ladder work?
- Telescopic ladders actually have a very simple mechanism. The ladder is made up of several tubes which gradually decrease in diameter so that if one tube is inserted into a larger one, it can move effortlessly. Two of these tubes in each section make up the ladder’s rungs.
- Once the rungs are slid out, there’s a locking mechanism on each of them which prevents them from sliding back into each other while the ladder is in use. As you extend each rung, you’re increasing the overall length of your ladder. When you’re done using the ladder, the securing mechanism on the rungs easily unlocks allowing you to push the rungs back to their original position.
Q-4: Are these types of telescopic ladders safe?
- Any product is only safe if the person using it follows the necessary safety guidelines. The same goes for telescopic ladders. They are considered safe provided you buy one that is certified by one of the safety bodies such as OSHA, ANSI, and EN 131. Also, there are specific guidelines to follow when using and storing telescopic ladders to help preserve their integrity and prevent accidents from taking place.
- It’s important to follow these as just one faulty locking mechanism on any of its parts can lead to a collapse of the entire ladder.
Q-5: How long can telescopic ladders get?
- These types of ladders come in a wide range of sizes, from about 12.5 feet to the longest telescopic ladder which is about 40 feet tall. However, it’s important to keep in mind that if you’re going to be working with heavy equipment, then this is something you need to consider before buying a telescopic ladder that tall as it is not considered safe to take a lot of weight past the halfway point of the ladder. In such a case, a different type of ladder may be better suited for your needs.
It comes as no surprise that telescopic ladders have gained massive popularity over the past few decades. They are versatile and provide multiple uses around the workplace or home. They are also lightweight and compact, which makes them super easy to transport and store.
The aluminum construction makes them durable and strong, so they are not only safe to use, but you’ll also be able to enjoy them for a long time to come. If you’re searching for the best telescopic ladder, use our Review and Buying Guide to help you choose the right one for your needs.