A chainsaw can be a great piece of equipment to help you cut up or clear out debris around your home. Whether you need to trim some bushes, tree limbs, or cut through scrap wood, the best professional chainsaw can help you year after year. Chainsaws are an effortless way to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
The more powerful a chainsaw, the more you can do with it. For example, if you need to cut down an entire tree, a great chainsaw can do the trick. In the end, you will save your energy to work on more important things around your property. Since you are reading this, continue as we break down the top-10 chainsaws on the market for you to choose from. This way, you will be well on your way in making an informed decision that is best for you and your lifestyle.
10 Best Professional Chainsaw: At A Glance
- Top 10 Best Professional Chainsaw Review:
- 1. Husqvarna 20-Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
- 2. DEWALT DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Cordless Chainsaw Kit
- 3. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- 4. BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch
- 5. DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Chainsaw Kit
- 6. Poulan Pro 20-in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw PR5020
- 7. Remington RM4620 Outlaw Gas Powered Chainsaw
- 8. Chain Saw, Gas, 18-in. Bar, 40.2CC
- 9. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chainsaw
- 10. Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 46cc 2-Cycle 20-Inch Gas Powered
- Things To Consider When Buying Professional Chainsaw
- Types of Chainsaws
- How to Maintain a Professional Chainsaw
- Safety Tips on Using a Professional Chainsaw
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Chainsaw
Top 10 Best Professional Chainsaw Review:
1. Husqvarna 20-Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
Chainsaw reviews have Husqvarna because of the quality that the brand possesses. This rancher chainsaw is perfect for homeowners or people who own land. This heavy-duty option uses a 55.5cc engine that includes a chain and guide bar. The 2-cycle engine uses a chain brake for safety when operating this great piece of machinery.
This orange-colored chainsaw product has a steady amount of power that is simple to use. To adjust the chain, it will only take you a few seconds to update it to your liking. Also, there is an air filter, so your chainsaw will be easy-to-clean. If you need to replace your air filter, there is easy access to get it done right, too.
With x-torque technology, this chainsaw does not have to use a lot of fuel when working hard. Environmentally speaking, this chainsaw gives off fewer emissions to help the planet we all live on. Make sure you wear gloves, chaps, and a helmet whenever using this product. If for whatever reason you need a replacement chain, you can get a new chain or things like a sharpener or case at an additional cost.
- Item weights less than 13 pounds
- Anti-vibration system makes the operation more comfortable
- Chainsaw only needs to mix 3 ounces into a gallon of gas
- Very ergonomic product
- Great value for your money
2. DEWALT DCCS670X1 FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Cordless Chainsaw Kit
The next product from DEWALT is one of the best all-around professional chainsaws. This chainsaw uses a 16” Oregon Bar, which helps with construction and different cutting applications for outside. You will not need a tool to tighten the tension on the chain because there is an adequate clamping force to help you along the right way.
Also, there is no need to worry about lubricating your chainsaw because this product uses an auto-oiling lubrication system. If you do need to add oil, the quarter-turn cap make refills take only seconds. For added safety, there is kickback protection from the chain brake. With its lightweight design, at just over 12 pounds, this product will not weigh you down. With almost 70 cuts per charged battery, you will be able to get a lot done in a short time.
Additionally, the battery from DEWALT can switch between 20V, 60V, and 120V respectively, giving you more uses in one product. It uses a low noise frequency, so it will not hurt your ears, and you will notice it barely needs any maintenance at all.
- No pull cords are needed with this product
- Battery eliminates the needs for air filters, spark plugs, etc.
- Comes standard with a limited warranty of 3 years
- Can switch out a longer bar if necessary
- Great maneuverability
3. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
The Greenworks Company continues to create a positive culture within its organization. With a brushless motor, this tool can last longer than ever before. Added power and torque allow less wear and tear over the lifetime of this product. This best selling chainsaw uses a 40V Li-Ion battery, which is compatible with other Greenworks’ products.
30% more torque is what you can come to expect from this Greenworks chainsaw. Additionally, you will not have to deal with the annoying vibration that comes with traditional chainsaws. With 70% less vibration, this chainsaw also has a great kickback chain and brake to keep you safe during every use.
No matter where you are cutting, this chainsaw can be moved in even the smallest of space. This maneuverability allows for wonderful user experiences. If you want to cut wood like butter, then you should consider this option for your life’s needs. Without it, you chainsaw experience might never be as good.
- Saw Pitch measures out at 0.375 inches
- Over 40 tools can be used on the same battery
- Weighs just over 10 pounds
- Can cut close to 150 times on one battery
- Less noise means a better operating experience
- Amazing safety features
- Battery life won’t wear down over time
4. BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch
As one of the best professional chainsaws on the market, BLACK+DECKER has outdone themselves with this next model. This chainsaw uses a 40V lithium-ion battery that has a better overall lifespan than most options in the 21st Century. Specifically, the product uses a 12” chain and bar. An automatic system for oil will help you a long way, too.
With this chainsaw, you will be able to cut limbs that have fallen or prune back bushes to your heart’s desire. No tools are needed to keep the tension for your chain. For every battery use, you should be able to cut 60 pieces of lumber on a single charge. When cutting, you will notice the full wrap on the chainsaw to help cut in different orientations if need be.
The 40V battery will also be a great addition to other BLACK+DECKER tools if you are looking to increase your collection. Additionally, each battery should last between 4 and 5 hours of use. At just over 10 pounds, this is a super-lightweight model that can take on almost any piece of wood.
- Oregon kick-bar product swift cuts
- Quicker than the 20V battery at 1.5 m/s
- The product comes with a charger station for your battery
- Maneuverability is unmatched
- Easy-to-handle wherever you roam
- Better than its gas-powered counterpart
5. DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Chainsaw Kit
Best professional chainsaws might be few and far between, but this next model is sensational. DEWALT has outdone itself by making a lowered kickback of only 12”. With the Oregon bar and chain, this product is great for cutting outside or in a garage. The brushless motor maximizes the life of your motor and the run time of each battery use. A twist button will be great for you to add tension without the use of tools. The clamping force for tension is the real deal.
At 8.8 pounds, you will barely feel like you are holding this product when in use. Also, with the use of the 20V battery, you can connect it to other DEWALT tools if you so choose. With over 180 tools to choose from, the possibilities are endless. Furthermore, the chain speed runs at a quick 25.2 feet per second meaning you will be cutting through some epic lumber, bushes, and limbs.
- Easy-to-use oiling system that you will have to barely do anything with
- Only needs 1 battery to work
- Chain comes pre-sharpened
- The product does not make much sound
- Amazing safety features
- Perfect for a small plot and big ranches
- Can cut trucks between 8 and 10-inches
6. Poulan Pro 20-in. 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw PR5020
The Poulan Pro is one of the best 50cc professional chainsaws on this review for a few reasons. First, Poulan uses an OxyPower technology in the engine that will give you the extra push you need for every situation. Along with a more powerful engine, you will be able to use 20% less fuel and give off 70% less environmental emissions. Additionally, the pull force will be 30% less, which means it will be easier to start the engine on this chainsaw.
An easy-to-use combi tool is great for maintenance issues that you can fix in no time. Also, there is a purge bulb to make the pull easier with fewer tries to start the engine. You will keep your engine away from danger, too. With a stop/choke control, you will be able to start your machinery quick and have no problem with any engine flooding. Because the 2-stroke engine is such high-grade, you can expect greatness every time you pull it out for use. You will not have to sacrifice power for a great product here.
- No batteries required for this chainsaw
- Weighs 17 pounds
- Great bang for your buck
- Limited oil needed
- Can use the product right out of the box
7. Remington RM4620 Outlaw Gas Powered Chainsaw
If you are looking for the best Stihl chainsaw, this is not it, but it is a part of the great brand Remington. With a 46cc, 2-cycle engine, there is a lot you can expect out of this option. Start with the fact that it uses a 20-inch bar for the biggest professional jobs humanity has to deal with daily. You will be comfortable every time you use it because it has a 5-point system for anti-vibration. Additionally, the side chain tensioner will keep you protected and up-to-date whenever you use the product. With more balance, you will love this product.
When using this chainsaw, the starting mechanism is spring-loaded for it to start immediately. There is also an oiler that will work automatically with minimal kickback, and a pitch chain that measures out at 0.325-inches. No need for tools to replace your spark plug and/or filter. With every purchase, you will receive a case, chainsaw, and oil for your 2-cycle oil. If you have any trouble with your product, know that you are back with a limited warranty of 2-years. Lastly, know you have a customer care that will back you with any issues you may have.
- Item weighs just over 16 pounds
- The product comes ready to roll
- Needs mixed fuel to run appropriately
- Made in the United States of America
- Hard, plastic case is great for chainsaw protection
8. Chain Saw, Gas, 18-in. Bar, 40.2CC
The brand Echo makes this best professional chainsaw. This 10.1-pound epic machine includes an instruction guide that will get you started in no time at all. With no batteries needed, this gasoline-powered option will be everything that you need. Made in the country of Japan, Echo is known for its janitorial supplies, but their chainsaws are moving up the ladder quickly. With an adjustable chain oiler, you will not have to get messy when working the chainsaw because the device will help run itself.
An anti-vibration system will keep you comfortable every time that you use the machine for small or big projects. With every purchase, you will receive the saw, chain, bar, and 2-stroke oil. If you need, there are repair services by authorized deals that can help you out with any problem you may be experiencing. When mixing the oil into your chainsaw, use an oil to gas mix of 40:1 or 50:1. This way, your engine will continue to stay strong over its entire life. You can also buy an extended warranty if your heart desires.
- Uses a fantastic air filter
- The small engine packs a big punch
- Comes standard with a 1-year warranty
- Does great cutting down branches
- Amazing reliability
- Will make short work of any type of wood
9. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chainsaw
Another best selling chainsaw is this one from Hitachi. It uses a commercial-grade PureFire engine that measures out at 50.1cc. The product runs clean and powerful enough to make this a chainsaw consume less fuel than you ever thought possible. The chainsaw uses a decompression valve, return choke, and primer bulb that will help the machine start on a dime. Also, the oiler is automatic enough that it will adjust the liquid level to help the chain and bar.
Every cut will be easier and easier with the help of bumper spikes and the nose bar. Amazingly, there is a 7-year consumer warranty, 2-year commercial warranty, and a year rental warranty, depending on how you use the device. This machine can also be adjustable to a 16 or 18-inch chain as well. When running this chainsaw, it runs on an extension cord with electric power. At 17.64 pounds, this chainsaw is quite lightweight and will keep you working as long as you need.
- The chainsaw comes assembled when it is shipped
- A mixture of gas needs to be 40:1
- Very easy-to-handle
- Hitachi is made by Tanaka
- Perfect for doing 50 hours around the home
- Cuts well through even the hardest of woods
- Sprocket cover is made of plastic
10. Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 46cc 2-Cycle 20-Inch Gas Powered
The last, best all-around professional chainsaw for this review is from Craftsman. This 2-cycle engine is a full crank engine that is a pro-grade machine, perfect for trimming, pruning, cutting, and so much more. You will get steady power during every use. The machine is simple to start and it has an anti-vibration system to keep your hands for shaking during the hardest of work.
With a 20-Inch kickback bar, you will have great control wherever you have to work. There is also a chain brake if you need to stop the chainsaw for any reason. Little to no upkeep is needed with this chainsaw. No tools are necessary either. You will feel like a pro when using this fantastic option with life’s chores. At just over 17 pounds, your back will not hurt the next day because of the weight. Instead, know your body will feel great and the product itself will be backed by a 2-year warranty on any parts that start to break down.
- The chainsaw will not overheat
- Uses a semi-chisel chain
- Link chain with 57 teeth
- The chain can be sharpened with a file
- Great sturdiness to last under the harshest of conditions
- An air filter can be changed out quickly
Things To Consider When Buying Professional Chainsaw
No matter if you are looking for the best Stihl chainsaw or something different, it is important to understand what kind of product you need. You should consider things like the length of the guide bar, the type of engine power you are looking for, and the safety of a chainsaw. So, without further ado, let us hop into buying guide features some of the things that you should think about.
Guide Bar Measurements
Chainsaw reviews talk a lot about the guide bar. When measuring the chain itself, know that a chain is measured from the top of the chain to where it enters the housing portion of the chainsaw. So, if you have a 16” guide bar is what you are working with, know that it can cut double its length. A 32” cut is what you will come to expect with this guide bar. Size truly does matter with a product like this.
For most homeowners, you can get away with a 14” chainsaw, but if you work with chainsaws in a professional setting, the longer the chain should be. More bar lengths for professional chainsaw users should have 22” to 36” chains. But, it should be stated that a longer bar length means that the chainsaw will be harder to work with. This could increase your likelihood of getting injured if you are not careful.
Having a Chain Brake
There are two types of brakes that you can consider when purchasing a chainsaw. The first option is a manual brake. With a manual selection, an individual’s front hand is used as an engine brake. The guard will hit your hand, and the chain will stop in only a few milliseconds. That might seem fast, but an inertial brake stops even quicker.
An inertial brake works whenever a kickback happens with your chainsaw. Kickbacks will be explained more in the safety section, but an inertial brake does not need your reflexes to stop the chainsaw on a dime.
Vibration can put a damper on chainsaw work. Your hands will feel like they are shaking for days, even if you wear hand gloves. Additionally, vibration can make the work even harder, as balance and cutting issues may arise in your work.
What anti-vibration does is dampen the shaking, so you will be able to work longer and more efficient than ever before. Your hands will not go numb and there will not be any developments of Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVS).
Picking the Right Muffler
A muffler can save your ears over the long run of using a best professional chainsaw. With a reduction of noise, a quality muffler uses a screen. This spark arrestor screen prevents any sparks from starting fires, while you are using your chainsaw. Additionally, this reduction of sparks will help with better gas efficiency and better power over the life of your chainsaw.
Easy Chain Adjustment
Some chainsaws on the market today need tools to adjust the tension of your chain. Stay away from these if you can. The best options on the market today are tool-free options. They use a twist chain-tension technology whenever you need to adjust or swap out a chain for better user-ability.
Having a carrying case for your chainsaw is a must. Without it, your product could be damaged, even as you start using your chainsaw for the very first time. It is sad to know that there are people out there that settle for less when buying a chainsaw. In turn, they store their chainsaw in a place where it gets damaged because it is not protected by a carrying case.
Convenience is one of the best ways to describe a carrying case. Whenever you need to take it and use the chainsaw at another location, it will be easier to carry and you will be safe when moving it from Point A to Point B. Do not struggle to haul your chainsaw around with a carrying case.
This next feature may seem like a luxury for some, but if you work in the winter months, having heated handles may be a need for you. Heated handles work the same way that a heated steering wheel or heated seats work in a vehicle. Your hands will stay warm and comfortable no matter if you are wearing gloves or not. Typically, you will find heated handles on chainsaws that are professional grade material.
Oil Pump Adjustability
Some might not think that adjusting your oil pump is a big deal, but you can change the way your guide bar and the chain works with your oil system. With this adjustability, you will be able to reduce waster and optimize lubrication no matter the season you use your chainsaw.
Circuit Breaker on Your Chainsaw
You may think those circuit breakers are only for homes, but you can have one on your chainsaw as well. If you have a history of burning out chainsaw motors, you may want to consider this in your next purchase. Some of the best professional chainsaws on the market make this standard for its models.
Types of Chainsaws
There are three types of chainsaw powers. They include gas chainsaws, battery-powered chainsaws, and electric chainsaws. Knowing how they work and what they can do for you will help you in the buying process.
- 1. Gas-Powered
Most gas-powered chainsaw engines have a cubic centimeter (cc) size of 24cc to 46cc, but you can even get a best 50cc professional chainsaw to use if you want. The higher the number you have, the more power your engine will produce.
- Ultra-fast cutting speeds
- No cords to hold you back
- Bar lengths can range from 12 to 60-inches
- The oiling system is the best of all three options
- Extremely versatile to anything you need cutting
- Cost of fuel
- Heavy maintenance issues
- Very loud compared to the other 2 options
- Pollutes the environment
- 2. Battery-Powered
When it comes to a battery-powered chainsaw, it uses voltage (V) to power the product. Over the last decade, battery power has made gigantic strides, challenging electric and gas-powered products respectively. For example, Dewalt and Greenworks chainsaw brands are on the same level as a 45cc gas-powered chainsaw.
- Great in helping the environment
- No cords will limit its use
- There is no oil to mix
- You can use the product indoors if you choose
- Easy maintenance
- Batteries lose their juice overtime
- Not usually as powerful as electric and gas-powered
- Batteries only last between 20 and 60 minutes on a single charge
- These options are usually more expensive than electric or gas-powered varieties
- 3. Electric
An electric chainsaw uses amps (A) to power the machine. The more amps mean more power with whatever you need cut. Check out these pros and cons for electric chainsaws to give you a better idea if this product will work for you or not.
- Not as loud as gas-powered options
- Much safer and light
- You do not have to deal with fumes or exhaust
- Has a fast start time
- Electric shock is possible if wet conditions show themselves
- No chain brake is included with your purchase
- Bar length is less than 20-inches
- Can’t move as far with a cord
Whether you decide on a gas-power, electric, or battery-driven chainsaw, you can expect to have a machine that will work in the way you need it to do. Some are better for heavy-duty cutting while others are purely for pruning. With tons of options comes more research to get you up-to-date on the best models around.
How to Maintain a Professional Chainsaw
Compared to a handsaw, a professional chainsaw need more care than you might think. This will help with performance, safety, and extended life for your product. Whenever you use your chainsaw, you should check these things out:
- Trigger Testing – See how the throttle trigger is doing for a smooth operation. Is your trigger sticking? Send your chainsaw to a trained mechanic. The same should happen if the engine does not go back to an idle when you let off the trigger.
- Checking Safety Features – How is the chain brake doing? Do you have a clean chain brake? Look out for any damaged parts on your chainsaw. Do not use the chainsaw if these things have not been fixed.
- Filter – If your air filter is starting to get dirty, get to cleaning it. Also, let it dry after you have washed the dirt off. When your air filter gets to the place of no return, it will now be time to get a replacement.
- Bar Rotation – As you look to have your chainsaw bar wear evenly, turn it before every use. Clean the grooves of the bar to prevent added wear and tear. Also, inspect if the lubrication is not clogging parts of your chainsaw. Know that lubrication does not work the same. Find one that causes less friction and limited damage to your product.
Safety Tips on Using a Professional Chainsaw
When it comes to chainsaw safety, pick a chainsaw that considers the safety of you and others around you. For example, if you have 14” tree that you want to cut down in one swoop, then get a chain that is 16” in length. The rule of thumb is having a bar length that is 2” more than the wood you are cutting.
If you do have a guide bar with a longer chain, you may run into a situation called “kickback.” This is when the top of a guide bar runs into a different object. The chain will rotate away from you changing direction altogether. Another kickback occurs when the bar pinches up against the wood.
When kickbacks occur, there are some important things to remember that will keep you safe whenever you use a chainsaw.
- Have a chain that is anti-kickback
- Sharpen your chain regularly
- Cut multiple pieces of wood together
- Do not touch the bar guide
- Use full power when cutting
- Make sure your safeties are working for each use
Also, it is important to wear the right protective gear to keep you going strong. Your protective gear should include but is not limited to, chaps, gloves, safety goggles, hearing protection, a hardhat, and boots.
Never rush into a big project with guns blazing. Start simple when working on any kind of project. You could start with branches, firewood, or even a small tree to bring about confidence within you. Practice truly does make perfect in this case. Also, have a partner when cutting. Having support when you do these projects is key. Lastly, have a first aid kit nearby just in case something happens. You never know when you might need its services at the direst of times.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Chainsaw
There are a ton of questions that can be asked about chainsaws. However, we have compiled the top-5 questions to help you along on your way. These questions are the most common that people ask about the subject.
Q1: Where is the best place to buy the best professional chainsaw?
- Anyone who has been around logging or forestry knows that some brands separate themselves from the rest. Of course, the brands mentioned above are a great place to start, but Jonsered and Stihl make quality products, too. You can make a purchase online or you can check out dealerships nearby. This way, you can have a great place to service your chainsaw in case anything bad happens to it.
Q2: What is the difference between a chisel chain and a chainsaw chipper?
- A chisel chain is one that has a square tooth that is of an older design. On the other hand, a chipper uses a round-tooth that keeps its edge better. This is especially beneficial when cutting in dirty spaces.
Q3: With an electric chainsaw, what kind of oil should I use?
- The owner’s manual is a great place to start. Most electric units will recommend SAE 30-weight oil. But, if the temperature you are using your chainsaw is in -30 degrees Fahrenheit, you should use 10-weight SAE motor oil. On the other hand, if you are working in temperatures about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, go with the 4-weight SAE motor oil.
Q4: How do I start a chainsaw?
- When working with a chainsaw, start by noticing what is around you. Safety should be on your mind at all times. Look around for others that might be nearby, as you start your chainsaw. Next, you can ignite the engine by pushing the ignition and choke buttons at the same time. Hold the trigger as well to help in the process.
- Put the chainsaw on the floor as you pull the handle loop to start the saw itself. Then, you can move the ignition and choke buttons upwards. One-click is all you need to get the chainsaw up and running.
Q5: What is the best chainsaw for an older individual?
- Anyone worried about the weight of a chainsaw should rest assured knowing that there are less bulky options to work with. Electric chainsaws can still pack a punch and they are very lightweight. With little to no maintenance, they are super easy-to-use wherever you live.
The best professional chainsaw is out there for you to find on the market today. Remember to find a product that fits the style of life that your life. Search through to find a chainsaw, no matter if it is electric, cordless, or gas-powered option. Then, you will be able to do some damage cutting down branches, limbs, and tree trunks. Good luck on your journey to finding the right chainsaw. It will make all the difference in the world for your life moving forward. Do your homework and get out there to make the best purchase possible. Your hard work will pay major dividends in the long run.