Purchasing the best kitchen exhaust fan isn’t hard if you’ve already got an idea of what you’re looking for. Whether it’s for the kitchen in your home or if you need it for commercial use, there are certain factors that you need to take into account when choosing the right one for your needs.
If your kitchen needs a new exhaust fan system or if you’re looking to upgrade the one you currently have, then you’re in the right place. In this article, we’re going to take a look at some of the best options that are available on the market, as well as all the different factors you need to consider before choosing the exhaust fan that is just right for your kitchen.
So read on to find out everything you need to know in our in-depth buying guide. To make things even easier for you, we have rated and reviewed 10 of the most popular kitchen exhaust fans on the market for you to choose from.
- 10 Best Kitchen Exhaust Fan: Editor’s Top Picks
- Best Residential Kitchen Exhaust Fan Reviews:
- 1. Broan 506 Chain-Operated Utility Fan
- 2. MaxxAir IF14UPS 14-Inch Exhaust Fan
- 3. iliving 10-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 4. Chef 30-Inch PS18 Range Hood
- 5. Cosmo 5U30 30-inch Range Hood
- 6. Broan 413004 Range Hood 30-Inch Stainless Steel
- 7. Cosmo 5MU30 30-inch Range Hood
- 8. STL75-LED Wall-Mounted Kitchen Range Hood
- 9. NuTone 8210 Round Duct Ceiling Fan
- 10. Broan 509 ThroughWall Fan
- 11. VES Exhaust Fan
- 12. Professional Grade Products 18-inch Metal Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 13. JPower 12-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
- 14. Hon&Guan 6-Inch Home Ventilation Fan
- 15. Fantech 2SHE1221 Series 12″ Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
- 16. TPI Corporation CE14-DS Direct Drive Exhaust Fan
- 17. Ventline 50 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Fan
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying A Kitchen Exhaust Fan
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Kitchen Exhaust Fan
10 Best Kitchen Exhaust Fan: Editor’s Top Picks
|Broan-Nutone 506 Chain-Operated Ventilation Fan||Buy Now|
|Top||Panasonic FV-30VQ3 WhisperCeiling Ventilation Fan||Buy Now|
|Broan-Nutone 8310 Side Discharge Ventilation Fan||Buy Now|
|iLiving - 16" Wall Mounted Exhaust Fan - Automatic Shutter||Buy Now|
|iPower 12 Inch Variable Shutter Exhaust Fan||Buy Now|
|Powerful Industrial Exhaust and Ventilation Fan (14 Inch)||Buy Now|
|Broan-NuTone 8210 8 Vertical Discharge and 7-Inch Round Duct Ceiling Fan, 210CFM,Silver||Buy Now|
|BV Range Hood - 30 Inch 750 CFM Under Cabinet Stainless Steel Kitchen Range Hoods||Buy Now|
|Broan-NuTone 509 Through-the-Wall Ventilation Fan||Buy Now|
|SAILFLO 10 Inch Exhaust Shutter Fan 2-Way Linkage Blower||Buy Now|
Benefits of Kitchen Exhaust Fan
When most people think about appliances for the home, they don’t consider a range hood to be among the most valuable. However, there are a lot of benefits that come with installing a kitchen exhaust fan in your home, some of which we’ve listed below:
- Keeps the air in your home clean – This is the most notable benefit of having a range hood in your home. It removes gasses and pollutants in your kitchen that could potentially be harmful. From the grease, steam, smoke, and odors, a kitchen exhaust fan will rid your home of all these annoying elements.
- Removes excess heat from the kitchen – Yet another great benefit is that range hoods remove excessive heat from your kitchen, keeping you cool while you work. Whether it’s heated from your stovetop or steam coming off your food, your vent hood will stop it from hitting your face so you can be more comfortable.
- Improves kitchen lighting – The best kitchen exhaust fan options on the market offer high-quality lighting that helps to enhance your working space. You’ll be able to see exactly what you’re doing which makes it easier for purposes of cooking and cleaning.
- Increases your property value – By installing a range hood in your kitchen, you can elevate the value of your property. These days, people expect these appliances in most homes, which means that if you don’t have one (or has one in dire need of an upgrade), it could actually hurt the resale value of your home.
- Offers comfortable cooking and living – A benefit that is most appreciated by the majority of people is being able to cook without the hassle of steam, smoke, or odors filling the entire kitchen and home. This affords you the opportunity to experiment with various cooking styles instead of being limited by unpleasant odors and smoke that overtake your home.
Best Residential Kitchen Exhaust Fan Reviews:
1. Broan 506 Chain-Operated Utility Fan
This exhaust fan can be used in an impressive variety of ways. In addition to helping you remove smells and smoke from the kitchen, it can also help you eliminate humidity from your laundry rooms, expel smoke from recreational areas, and it even takes out the fumes from workshops.
If you’re searching for a powerful system for your kitchen exhaust, this is a great option to consider. We placed it first on our list because of its vast features and benefits and incredibly affordable price. The plastic housing adjusts easily to fit any wall that has a thickness of between 4.5 and 9.5 inches.
A pull chain opens the door to start the fan, making this unit extremely easy to operate. It has a polymeric fan blade that was specifically designed for this fan and the housing also has a foam-insulated door that enhances its efficiency.
This utility ventilator from Broan, a well-known and respected brand is arguably the best kitchen exhaust fan you’ll find out there. If you’re searching for an exhaust system that is not only affordable but also durable and effective, too – you won’t go wrong with this one.
- Made from durable, long-lasting plastic material
- Has a pull chain for opening the door and starting fan
- Housing can be adjusted to fit walls of varying thickness
- Comes with a polymeric fan blade specially designed
- A foam-insulated door on the housing boosts energy efficiency
2. MaxxAir IF14UPS 14-Inch Exhaust Fan
This is a powerful industrial exhaust fan that can be used in a lot of different places, such as greenhouses, garages, barns, and various other places in addition to the kitchen. The thermally protected fan is a great option for anyone looking for great performance at an affordable price. The fan blades are 14 inches in diameter, and the overall unit is 13 x 18 x 18 inches in size.
With OSHA-compliant features, such as the safety grill and an energy efficient motor that is thermally protected and fully enclosed. The exhaust fan has exterior shutters that close snugly preventing a draft when the fan is not being used. These shutters open automatically when the unit is turned on and work to remove excess heat and moisture as well as unwanted odors and other contaminants.
The housing of this fan is made from galvanized steel which helps to prevent corrosion and rust. It comes with holes pre-drilled for easy mounting. The rolled flange edges make it easier to handle this unit during installation, and the fan comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. It’s important to note that these fans don’t come with any electrical plugs and that the unit requires wiring to the electrical system in your building.
- Highly durable heavy duty exhaust fan
- Thermally protected fan compliant with OSHA safety standards
- PSC energy-efficient motor
- Exterior shutter prevents draft when the fan is not in use
- Comes with one-year limited warranty
3. iliving 10-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
This shutter exhaust fan from iLiving is ideal for the removal of excess moisture, heat, and unwanted odors from any commercial location such as restaurants, warehouses, barns, factories, and greenhouses.
The 10-inch exhaust fan features aluminum blades that are durable and strong, and it also has wire guards that are compliant with OSHA’s safety standards. The automatic shutters open and close as the fan is powered up or switched off which means that when it’s not in use, you don’t have to worry about having an unwanted draft in the house.
The motor is completely enclosed and thermally protected. It also has permanent lubrication, which means that you have one less thing to worry about if you purchase this fan. It comes fully assembled from the box and the only installation required involves the electrical hardwiring.
You’ll find this product in eight different sizes ranging from 10 inches all the way to 36 inches, meaning that you can get the perfect size for your needs. The fans are available in both variable speed and single speed models. However, you will have to buy the speed controller separately.
- 10-inch variable speed shutter fan unit with automatic shutters
- Permanently lubricated motor
- UL-listed with controllable speed
- OSHA-compliant wire guards
- Variable speed functionality
4. Chef 30-Inch PS18 Range Hood
This is a great exhaust fan to upgrade your kitchen in both looks and functionality. Made from high-quality stainless steel, the Chef’s 30-inch range hood vent boasts a modern design that will instantly enhance the way your kitchen looks. If you’re considering a remodel, this is a great product to consider.
It has a dishwasher-safe baffle filter and comes with a touch-screen digital clock for your ease and convenience while cooking in the kitchen. With an 860 CFM to capture grease and odors, you can be sure that your time spent in the kitchen will be safe and odor-free.
This fan has energy-saving LED lights and a delayed shut-off function. It also comes with six different speed settings that you can use according to the nature of your work. This range hood not only looks good it performs great. The intelligent details and contemporary design elements make this the best exhaust fan for kitchen use that you’ll get for the money.
This is a great option for you if you want to enhance your kitchen’s overall design aesthetic while keeping it clean and safe.
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty on parts
- Filters are extremely easy to remove and clean
- The fan comes with delayed shut-off function
- Customizable through six-speed setting
- Bright, energy-saving LED lamps emit enough light for cooking
5. Cosmo 5U30 30-inch Range Hood
The slim profile of this range hood makes it great for those who want a virtually seamless design that complements their current décor. With the Cosmo 30-inch range hood, less is definitely more. The powerful suction of the fan removes smoke and odors quickly and quietly, making your cooking experience hassle-free.
This unit requires simple installation beneath an existing cabinet and is a smart choice thanks to its energy-efficient lighting. It has a stainless steel body, electronic push controls, and can be cleaned quickly and easily by hand.
It comes with three fan speeds, permanent multi-layer mesh filters that are dishwasher safe, and efficient noise control features that make it a joy to use. If you are searching for a high-performance kitchen exhaust fan, this under cabinet range hood is definitely one you should consider. Ductless conversion is possible with the optional purchase of a carbon filter kit.
At the touch of a button, you get energy-efficient illumination that is sufficient for cooking purposes. The package includes a range hood, damper, two mesh filters, a vent cover, and the necessary mounting equipment. You don’t have to search for anything else to install and use this in your kitchen.
This is the best kitchen exhaust fan for those who want to create a healthier environment by keeping cooking oil and grease away from their family.
- Easy to convert into a ductless hood
- Fans can be hand-washed to increase the time between replacements
- Made from durable rust-proof stainless steel
- 30-inch under cabinet hood with carbon filter
- The simple space-saving design comes with mounting holes for easy installation
6. Broan 413004 Range Hood 30-Inch Stainless Steel
Much like the first offering on our list, this kitchen exhaust fan is made from high-quality durable stainless steel material and it boasts a powerful but extremely quiet motor. It has a protective light lens that distributes a bright glow evenly across the cooktop and it accepts bulbs up to 75W.
This hood installs as a non-ducted hood only with a charcoal filter and it can work in ADA-compliant applications. It provides effective filtration thanks to a removable combination grease and charcoal filter to give you clean indoor exhaust recirculation.
If you’re searching for a high-quality non-ducted kitchen exhaust system that offers great value for money, this 30-inch stainless steel hood could be an ideal option. It has easy to use control switches for the light and the two-speed fan. You will be able to rid your home of excessive smoke, moisture, and air-borne particles quickly and quietly while you cook.
Broan is a brand that is well known and trusted in the industry thanks to its performance matched solutions for ventilating your kitchen before the smoke infiltrates every room in your home. They cater to all types of cooking styles and appliances.
This means that whether you want your hood to be the focal point in your kitchen or a concealed within custom cabinetry, if you want a product from one of the best range hood brands, Broan will provide an optimal solution for you.
- Works in ADA-compliant application
- 75W cooktop lighting
- Non-ducted filter offers effective filtration
- Comes with a two-speed fan with rocker-type control
- High-quality durable stainless steel construction
7. Cosmo 5MU30 30-inch Range Hood
If you’re searching for a kitchen exhaust fan with a space-saving design, this could very well be what you’re searching for. The profile of the Cosmo 5MU30 is slim and compact, which makes it ideal for anyone who has limited space in their kitchen, such as those living in condos or apartments.
The range hood can be operated as a ductless range with the optional purchase of a carbon filter kit. You can install it against a wall or under a cabinet in your kitchen. This powerful yet quiet exhaust fan is suitable for both back venting and top venting.
It has a three-speed motor that filters your kitchen leaving it free from annoying smells and odors without the loud sounds of most other range hoods in the same category. This product offers the ultimate in value thanks to its high-quality stainless steel construction and easy 5-button controls. It also has two 3W energy-saving LED lamps that provide all the illumination you need for cooking.
This range hood offers superior filtration and comes with a reusable aluminum mesh filter included to trap oil and grease. And with a five-year limited warranty and a stellar customer service based in the US, you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing that you are getting the best product for your kitchen at the best possible price.
- Made from durable smooth stainless steel
- High lumen LED lamps to provide illumination and energy savings
- 3-speed fans to adjust to different suction needs
- Easy push-button control of fan and lights
- 5-year limited warranty
8. STL75-LED Wall-Mounted Kitchen Range Hood
This 30-inch wall-mounted kitchen range hood from Kitchen Bath Collection comes with high-end features at a very affordable price. It has sleek curved edges, an adjustable two-piece chimney, and no visible weld seams on any of the chimney’s three faces.
The kitchen exhaust system also comes with three different speed settings and a touch screen control panel that is super easy to use. It boasts two high lumen LED lights, each with high-end bulbs to give you adequate illumination while you work in your kitchen.
Also included are all the accessories you need for installation, as well as a flexible aluminum duct that can be easily attached to the ceiling or wall. You also get an aluminum microcell grease filter that is dishwasher friendly and a UL-certified motor.
This particular model also comes with charcoal carbon filters in case you want to install it as a ductless hood. This means you don’t have to buy any additional equipment. Made from rust-resistant 304 stainless steel, this is the best kitchen exhaust fan that is built to give great performance and last a very long time.
- High-end LED lights 3x brighter than some competing models
- 3-speed fan to adjust suction easily
- Charcoal carbon filters included for vent-less use
- Touch screen control panel
- Adjustable two-piece chimney with no visible weld seams
9. NuTone 8210 Round Duct Ceiling Fan
The NuTone ceiling-mount utility fan is an extremely powerful solution for rooms that have excessive humidity, smoke, or other odors, such as kitchens, rec rooms, workshops, commercial restrooms, and laundry rooms. It installs in the ceiling and has a vertical discharge that moves a large volume of air from the room directly through the roof using round ducting.
It’s an excellent choice for anyone who wants a high-performance fan at a competitive price. According to one best kitchen exhaust fan review from a satisfied user, this is undoubtedly the best fan if you want to blend it with your ceiling as the resin grill can be painted to blend in with your ceiling and match the rest of the room.
In addition to being safe and efficient, this kitchen exhaust system has a fan blade that is specially designed to stay in balance and never distort. This means you’ll have years of convenient and reliable ventilation to look forward to. The hood range is UL-listed for use in cooking areas, helping to remove cooking odors quickly and quietly, but it’s not for use over cooktops.
The motor assembly offers easy installation thanks to its twist-lock feature. All you have to do is to slide the two bracket slots on the motor mounting over the two mounting screws on the sleeve for fast installation. The mounting brackets are adjustable and span in size from 14 inches to 24 inches to fit your wall perfectly.
- Strong durable housing made from galvanized steel
- Grill extends two inches from the ceiling
- Plug-in motor is thermally protected
- Easy installation and adjustable mounting bracket
- Paintable resin grille can match any ceiling
10. Broan 509 ThroughWall Fan
This offering from Broan comes with a white plastic grill and is a great solution for those requiring proper ventilation in their home. The 8-inch unit is easy to install and use and it also comes with a powerful fan that ensures the elimination of all humidity, odors, grease, smoke, and other potentially harmful particles in the air as you cook in the kitchen.
Broan is one of the best range hood brands that understand the importance of having good ventilation throughout your home when it comes to creating a comfortable and safe living environment. All their products offer affordable and effective solutions for home and business owners everywhere to ensure that contaminants in the indoor air are constantly removed.
You can use this exhaust system to eliminate humidity and expel smoke from kitchens, rec rooms, laundry rooms, workshops, and other spaces. The contemporary design of the square grill makes it great for complementing any modern décor. The grill is coated in long-lasting epoxy that is paintable, which means you can easily match it to the color of your walls.
The plug-in motor in this unit is thermally protected and permanently lubricated. The housing adjusts to fit different size walls ranging from 4.5 inches to 9.5 inches in thickness and comes with a built-in backdraft damper.
- Made from high-quality durable plastic
- The polymeric grill can be painted to match your room
- Adjustable housing to fit different wall thicknesses
- Specially designed durable polymeric fan blade
- Built-in damper to minimize backdrafts
11. VES Exhaust Fan
This sensational exhaust fan has a 3-speed set-up to help with indoor and outdoor ventilation. As an amazing box fan, all you need to do is use a 9-foot cord to plug it in and you will be good to go.
A type of exhaust fan like this is perfect for a garage, attic, chicken coop, a greenhouse, etc. When it comes to installation, you can easily add the fan to a window or a wall opening. Use the user’s manual, so you have the best experience possible.
Cooling is the prime priority of this fan. By removing stale air, and stuffy and hot areas, this exhaust fan can do wonders for you. Do not worry about this product rusting because it will not. The aluminum shutters are built for longevity. This product comes fully assembled, so you will be good to go when it is plugged in appropriately.
- Fan voltage is 115
- Uses copper winding
- Must having bearing specifications from -40 to 140 degrees Celcius
- The motor is approved by CSA
- Made with steel stators and rotors
- The fan only weighs 16 pounds
12. Professional Grade Products 18-inch Metal Shutter Exhaust Fan
If you are looking for the best hydroponic ventilation, this exhaust fan could be for you. With a variety of fan sizes on the market today, it may feel a bit overwhelming to find the one that fits your situation the best. But, when you receive this fan, you will receive a power cord. Additionally, the fan will be protected from corrosion in the future.
Because the motor is located outside of the air stream, this fan runs better than ever. The fan comes with a 60-day warranty if you run into any defects. Customer service will help in the process to get you up and running in no time at all.
- The fan weighs 23 pounds
- Heat, moisture, and pollutants can all be pushed away with this fan
- Perfect for mounting in factories, farm buildings, and shops
- Takes out dust and odors as well with the help fo this exhaust fan
- An extremely quiet fan that will never be a bother
- Can be used in a crawl space
- Amazing temperature control
13. JPower 12-Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan
This fan alternative is a great way to swap out an AC unit. It will help cool any room you need to be done right, like garage space, a chicken coop, or a greenhouse. Some worry about installation when it comes to adding an exhaust fan. However, there is no need to worry about this option. By put the fan in a window or wall space, you will be well on your way towards success.
This fan is no push-over either. As an industrial-grade model, ventilation and cooling will never be a problem for you. Made of aluminum, this product will not wear down easily either. Rust will not effect your great fan.
It is a fan like this that will never let you down. Consider using this inexpensive option to help you in no time at all. In only 7 seconds, you will start to notice a difference because of this fan.
- Rounds per minute hit 1,682
- Runs on 120 volts
- Has 63 watts of power
- The product is OSHA compliant
- The fan only weighs 11.25 pounds
- Installation goes smoothly with the help of a user’s manual
14. Hon&Guan 6-Inch Home Ventilation Fan
This next model, from Hon&Guan, is one of the sleekest fans on the market. The ventilation fan is ideal for bathrooms, garages, and other rooms. Will you be able to hear the fan? Probably not because the fan is very silent, but you will have a strong exhaust in the process.
There is even a light on some of the models, in case you want to see things better than ever before. It is a modern design like this that will allow for a reduction of humidity levels and mildew growth. By plugging a cord into 110 volts of power, you will be able to get 25 watts of power up in no time at all.
The product is also made of extremely durable materials. With the frame made of ABS plastic, know that the fan is UV resistant and will hold up over time. Even odors will be taken out of place. Did you know you will also be saving power in the process? With the help of low power consumption, you will be doing the world an environmental service.
- An install can be done easily through the mounting process
- The fan can be attached with the help fo self-tapping screws
- Material is waterproof
- Noise is under 40 decibels
- The current is 0.4 amps
15. Fantech 2SHE1221 Series 12″ Shutter Mount Exhaust Fan
With only a few fans to go, this option from Fantech may be the right one for you. First off, the product lives up to UL 705 Standards, meaning the product is safe and will not cause any problems moving forward.
Heavy-duty guards will push away corrosion because of the polyester-coating. The guards are OSHA compliant as well, so no one will be injured when installing or using this fan. There is also speed control with this product. You can set the fan to your exact specifications and the room your fan is in well cool to perfection.
Whatever you decide, make sure you take the time to come up with a thought out plan. This way, you can install your Fantech product with peace of mind and enjoy the perks that it possesses.
- The fan only weighs 12 pounds
- The installation will be frustration-free
- Comes with downloadable manuals
- Handles CO2 saturation
- Perfect for residential or commercial use
- Frequency is 60 Hertz
- This fan is hard-wired with a ground wire
16. TPI Corporation CE14-DS Direct Drive Exhaust Fan
Looking for a shutter mounted exhaust fan? This single-phase fan will surely handle the job you are needing it to do. With a 14-inch diameter, this 120V fan has got you covered.
This is a 3-speed fan that is perfect for exterior ventilation. With 1/8 horsepower, this fan is lubricated and ready to go. These are self-closing shutters, so rain will not get in the way of this fan’s operation.
The exhaust fan is sturdy as well. The aluminum blades are connected to a steel hub that allows for great durability. For power to the fan, there is a junction box that can change by a switch on the wall. Since this fan is made by TPI Corporation, know that this company has been around since 1950. In turn, this corporation has a storied history that has gained trust over the years. Let them gain your trust as well in a shorter period.
- The fan comes in the color gray
- This fan only weighs 17 pounds
- Made in the United States of America
- The switch is a pull chain
- Uses 2 amps
- Can be shipped anywhere domestically
- Perfect for a ceiling install
17. Ventline 50 CFM Ceiling Exhaust Fan
The last fan on the list is not a very expensive option, but it still can work well for you. This ceiling exhaust fan is ideal for a bath or ceiling fan. However, you can use it for even smaller areas as well if you would like. All you need is an 8-inch hole to install and then you will be good to go.
This fan is balanced by using a polypropylene blade that will not bend and will not rust either. All it needs to run is 115V of power, and in turn, you will get amazing exhaust power. Another great thing about this fan is the fact that it only weighs 2 pounds. That is extremely small, but do not think for a second it will be inadequate because of its size. The truth is this fan packs a punch.
- Assembly will not take you very long at all
- This fan runs on less than 40 decibels of sound
- Motors can be interchangeably rated from 50 to 100 CFM
- The fan needs 120 volts to work properly
- This fan can run 24/7 without any problems
- Perfect replacement for a generic fan you are looking to redeem
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying A Kitchen Exhaust Fan
Most households need an exhaust system to accumulate and vacuum the smoke that results from cooking in the kitchen. In addition to being thoroughly annoying, the smoke can affect your health. If you breathe in this type of smoke on a consistent basis, you may find that your lungs are affected in a negative way.
And if that’s not bad enough, smoke from the kitchen can also travel to your white ceilings and to your curtains, couches, and other furniture, making it look and smell bad over time. Those are just some of the reasons why it’s vital for you to choose an effective exhaust system for your home. Listed below are four of the factors you need to consider if you want to get the best kitchen exhaust fan for your home:
1. Vented or Duct-Free
The first thing you need to consider is whether you want to go with a vented or a ductless hood. A ductless hood isn’t one we would recommend as it takes all the smoke, humidity, or odors and distributes it throughout your kitchen and the rest of your house. While venting the hood outside is better, it is a little more complicated to install.
Fortunately, the majority of hoods on the market offer installation for both so that you can choose for yourself.
2. Type of Hood
An under-cabinet hood mounts to the bottom of your wall cabinet. If your hood is installed on an exterior wall, the ductwork can be routed outside through the cabinet. For some models, you can route it up directly through the back of your hood. In all other cases, the ductwork will have to be routed to a chase, ceiling, or soffit through the cabinet.
Wall chimney hoods are ideal where there aren’t any cabinets or mount on the wall with exposed vent stacks. Island hoods work above a peninsula and are mounted to the ductwork and vented through the ceiling. Our best kitchen exhaust fan review list of the top 10 options on the market includes all the various types for you to choose from.
When considering hoods, this is one of those times when bigger is better. The hood you purchase should be at least the same width as the cooking surface you intend to install it above. If you can, try to avoid downdraft hoods as these are not as effective as their counterparts when it comes to expelling humidity, odors, and smoke.
And keep in mind that CFM (cubic feet per minute) isn’t everything. Some manufacturers have specific airflow claims of how much air is exhausted, but while that may mean faster venting, it doesn’t really guarantee better capture and removal of smoke. So don’t place too much weight on this metric when making your decision about which fan is the best one for your needs.
4. Ease of Installation and Use
If you’re going to be installing your range hood yourself, you need to be sure that the installation is quick and easy to perform. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions when installing your hood and make sure there is adequate room to work above the burners and elements while preventing steam from escaping from the sides (typically about 18 – 30 inches).
Whenever possible, vent outdoors and use the largest size walled metal ducting you can. Minimize bends and keep the duct runs very short to maximize airflow. Have a roof or wall cap outside the house to prevent backdrafts and wash your filters every three months or so. If you cook frequently, wash them every month.
There are, of course, other features to consider such as the price, the number of fan speeds, thermostat control, and the exhaust timer, and you can make your choice according to the features that matter most to you.
Types of Exhaust Fans
There are various types of exhaust fans to choose from, but the layout of your kitchen, laundry, rec room, etc. typically dictates the range hood that you can use. Here are the options that you can select:
- 1. Under-cabinet Hoods
These are mounted underneath a wall cabinet and the ductwork goes through an adjoining wall, soffit, chase, or ceiling to expel smoke and fumes outside. Some models have a shallow hood that slides out of an upper kitchen cabinet when needed. Under-cabinet hood designs take up a lot of cabinet space but maybe the only option for some who can’t use standard design for whatever reason.
- 2. Wall-Chimney Hoods
This type of hood works where there aren’t any cabinets over the cook-top. They mount on the wall with exposed vent stacks pulling air to the outside.
- 3. Island Hoods
These exhaust fan systems are mounted to the ceiling and they vent through the ceiling as well. Since there’s no wall or cabinets to help funnel the fumes, these should be wider than your cooking surface.
- 4. Downdraft Hood
This type of hood reverses the direction of rising smoke and odors and takes them out through ducts that run beneath the floor. Since hot air rises, these may not be the most effective for removing steam and smoke, but for those who can’t route ductwork through the ceiling, these may be the only option.
- 5. Ductless Hoods
These can be under-cabinet, island, or wall hoods that direct steam and smoke away from the stovetop but back into your kitchen. The filters trap grease and oil droplets and reduce odors, but smoke will disperse throughout your kitchen and the rest of your house.
How to Install Kitchen Exhaust Fan
Installing a kitchen exhaust fan is something that is simple and easy to do. While the instructions might vary from one manufacturer to the other, the basic steps remain more or less the same. Depending on the chosen type of hood, the first thing to do when installing your exhaust system is to plan where your ceiling exhaust hole will go.
After creating the hole, insert the vent pipe through it. The next step is to attach a duct elbow to the exhaust port, after which you will then be able to attach the vent fan. Next, you need to cut an exhaust hole near the vent fan you just inserted and then attach the connector duct to that outside hole.
You can then connect the necessary wires to the fan in the kitchen, attach the front grille and proceed to test your work by turning on the power and switching the fan on.
How to Clean Kitchen Exhaust Fan
If your kitchen exhaust fan has mesh filters, simply remove them and then pour boiling water on them. Soak them for an hour in a mixture of half a cup of ammonia and one gallon of hot water. Afterward, you can scrub them to rid the filter of fat and dirt.
When cleaning fan blades, a simple mix of water and soap will do, but you can also use a mixture of ¼-cup ammonia, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, and a cup of warm water to clean the blades. Make sure you have a mask and rubber gloves to protect you while doing this.
For breaking down the grease, you can use caustic chemicals for scrubbing the fan parts and then rinse with hot water to wash away the residue. You can apply the chemicals using a garden-type sprayer, chemical foamer, or downstream injection via a pressure washer.
Use scrapers where there is a heavy build-up of grease before you apply any chemicals. A small steam cleaner will help you remove the grease and dirt. Use a wet towel or cloth to wipe the equipment all over to ensure that each of the parts is free of dirt.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Kitchen Exhaust Fan
Q-1: Which is the best brand for kitchen exhaust fans?
- There are many different brands on the market, but we have researched and rated the top 10 products from the very best manufacturers to make your choice easy when buying the right one for your needs.
Q-2: Do these fans get rid of oil and grease vapor?
- Yes, they do. But if you cook a lot of oily foods, then you need to ensure that your kitchen exhaust system is a really good one that is specifically designed so that you’ll be able to clean the parts easily as grease tends to accumulate over time.
Q-3: How can I prevent dangerous backdrafts?
- Some modern homes are very well sealed to preserve energy, and if you suck out a lot of air via your kitchen exhaust air, it can cause some serious backdraft issues. That’s why you need to install a makeup air inlet.
Q-4: What’s the most number of bends I can put in ducting?
- The manufacturer’s instructions will always tell you to avoid 90-degree bends as well as how many bends you can put in the piping of your exhaust. The installation instructions will also let you know how long you can make your exhaust ducts.
Q-5: Which exhaust fan performs the best?
- Generally speaking, most people find that an overhead kitchen exhaust fan performs much better than downdraft fans. This is due to the simple fact that hot air rises, which is why it’s a good idea to take advantage of this when choosing the type of kitchen fan you want to buy.
As you’ve seen, there are a lot of options available to you when it comes to choosing the best kitchen exhaust fan. The good news is that with our handy buying guide and review list, you don’t have to search high and low or research dozens of products in an effort to pick the right one for your needs.
If you need to create the ideal environment in your kitchen, garage, greenhouse, or any other working space, use this article as your resource to help you choose an exhaust fan that will offer you the best functionality and durability for years to come.