When you buy the Jeep you have always wanted, it is time to get the best Jeep hardtop hoist. Do you know why? Well, with all the fun nuts and bolts things you can do with your vehicle, it is imperative to have a little fun.
Let us say you need to change from your hardtop to your soft-top for the summer? You will need a hoist. If you do not have one, the process of replacing your top will be a lot more difficult. Just imagine. You may need a few of your friends to come over just to get the top replaced. Then, you will probably owe them a ride in your vehicle as well. Not to say that that will be a problem, you will save a lot of time with a hoist.
But, the challenge is knowing which hoist to buy. In this article, we have you covered from the product reviews to the buyer’s guide. So, come along this journey for a little bit of time. You will be glad you did in the end.
- Things to Consider When Buying Jeep Hardtop Hoists
- Top 10 Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews:
- 1. Harken Jeep Hardtop Garage Storage Hoist with Bonus 6 T-Knobs for Quick Hardtop Removal
- 2. Raco PHL-R Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift
- 3. Hoist-A-Top Power Jeep Wrangler & Unlimited Hardtop Removal System
- 4. Harken Truck Hardtop Garage Storage Hoist
- 5. Smittybilt 510001 Hardtop Hoist for Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK
- 6. Champion 440/880-lb. Automatic Electric Hoist with Remote Control
- 7. Five Ocean 440 lbs Electric Overhead Hoist Lift
- 8. Goplus 440 lbs Lift Electric Hoist Crane
- 9. Harken Cargo Box Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist
- 10. Sportsman Series EHOISTUL 440 lbs Lift Electric Hoist
- Different Types of Jeep Top Hoist
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Best Jeep Hardtop Hoists: Editor’s Top Picks
Things to Consider When Buying Jeep Hardtop Hoists
Since you have gone through the product reviews, now you need to know a little more before you go out and buy your hoist. The things below are important for you to consider when making the right decision for yourself. This way, there will be no surprises to you with your very own Jeep hoist.
1. The Installation
Once you have your hoist, you must know how to put it together. Now, not all hoists are treated as equals. Some come pre-assembled and others have a lot of work to contend with.
No matter what you decide, make sure to work through the installation directions. But, you will also see there are a lot of reviews out there with individuals who were peeved with the manual. So, check that out as well. Ultimately, you want your product to work and to be put together efficiently.
2. Holding Weight
Depending on the contraption you pick, there are a variety of products out there that hold different weights. Some hoists hold under 100 pounds, while some can hold a few thousand pounds. Whatever you decide upon, know that the more weight your product can hold, the more it will probably cost. So, plan accordingly with this.
Of course, you want something to last. But, this does not happen with all hoists. Depending on the model that you choose will help determine the type of make-up of your hoist. Some have to work through some serious construction regulations, while others do not have the same standards.
As you sort through the products above, dive into what products care about such standards. Sure, it may cost you a little bit more. But, do you not want your product to last? We thought so.
4. Space Saver
Having a hoist in your garage can certainly be a space saver. However, there are some bulky models out there that certainly do nothing to aid in your space saving thought process. Make sure to look for options that fit perfectly on your ceiling, so it does not interrupt the rest of your garage.
5. Working With Your Height
Having the proper installation for your hardtop needs to have a hoist that can have great clearance in your garage. Know that some models only have a clearance of around 7 feet, while others can go well over 10 feet. When it comes to the 7-foot options, most of the time they have fewer features than that of a taller clearance model.
6. Usability For You
With different shapes and sizes of hardtops, you need to make sure that your hoist is compatible with what your vehicle needs. Certainly do not buy a model that will not work with what you need. This way, you can have the best experience in town.
Many people want to have a warranty for their hoist. If any defect happens to the hoist, a warranty will aid in your get a refund or a replacement for your hoist. Because of this, you can expect to pay a little more. But, if you believe that you will be having your Jeep for a while, then it is a no-brainer to get a hoist that will stick around.
On the other hand, if you are only thinking of keeping the Jeep for a little bit of time, try for a cheaper warranty or not a warranty at all. This way, you will not have to pay for something extra you will not need down the road. Ultimately, make a decision that fits your future.
The last part of the buyer’s guide has to do with price. Now, we all usually think about price at the very beginning. However, if you think about it in the end, you may already have the right idea of what you need. If the price point does not fit for you and your lifestyle, then go back to square one and try to mix in price with the features you are looking for you.
Top 10 Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews:
We have scoured the Internet for the top-10 hoists that you need for your garage and your Jeep. As you sort through this list, do your best to rank it the way you would like it. This way, you have a better idea of what you need before getting to the buyer’s guide.
1. Harken Jeep Hardtop Garage Storage Hoist with Bonus 6 T-Knobs for Quick Hardtop Removal
If you are looking for a 10-foot hoist, you have come to the right place with this model from Harken. No matter the Jeep Wrangler you have, this hoist will work for you and your vehicle. With a max load of 145 pounds, you will easily be able to handle any type of hoist you choose for your vehicle.
The installation is something you will love about this hoist. With a four-point kit, the installation process will be a breeze because it comes with detailed instructions to help you on your way. The safety system is also something to pay attention to. With ball bearings that self-lock on their own, there will never be an accidental release and your lift will always surely be even. How great is that!
The bonus you receive with this product is the thumbscrews. For the easiest top removal on planet Earth, this product does not need any tools at all. If you own a Jeep from 2007 or newer, this will certainly work for you and your vehicle. It is usability, like this product, that people love when it comes to a stellar Jeep hardtop lift.
- The thumbscrews are a steel stud of 1-inch long
- The product comes with a 5-year warranty
- Can be used for kayaks and canoes as well
- The hoist weighs less than 4 pounds
- The sturdiness of this hoist is what sets this product apart from others
- Ideal when paired with garage rafters
Now Think Again
- Block and tackle is the only way to extend the pulley system
- Will need a stud finder for the install
2. Raco PHL-R Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift
The next Jeep top hoist comes to us from Racor. As a quality adjustable mount, this is perfect for angled ceilings because of its heavy-duty nylon ring nature. Durability is another thing you will like. With the help of steel, you will be able to lift over 250 pounds at a time.
Efficiency is something else that will catch your eye. As it goes up and down, the crank system will wow you with several installation modes. You will also like the reliability. With an 8-foot lift, the hoist can lock at any time. This way, you can have your garage back. Most hoists on the market today take up too much room. Not This hoist. It will not be a problem for you.
When you get your amazing hoist, the assembly will only take a little time, as you install it to the ceiling. Then, you will be ready to roll like never before. And at only 51 pounds, your hoist will not fall off the ceiling. It will stay strong! This is a win-win for any hoist lover.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- The storage capacity is unreal good
- The plastic drive gear is stronger than you might think
- Amazing and thoughtful design
- Will not have to modify this product for your situation
- Great way to accommodate all your hardtop removal needs and it can hold items when not in use
Now Think Again
- Only comes in the color black
- The hoist only comes in the size of large
3. Hoist-A-Top Power Jeep Wrangler & Unlimited Hardtop Removal System
The next Jeep hardtop hoist is a top-notch option. To store and remove your hardtop, this product is a no-brainer for your life. With no need for a drill, you can attach your top with no tools at all.
The Smart Hook technology is something to boast about as well. In the process of working on your Jeep, you can store and lift your top with the back window closed the entire time. This will save you a lot of time during the process. Then, what does this mean for you? There will be no more back issues and your tops will not be hurt ever again. Your precious fingers will not get hurt either. What a concept!
When you look to install this product, you can mount it either to the back of the wall or the side of the wall. As you position your hoist appropriately, you will be able to use it accordingly. This will things extra simple for you.
- No creasing will happen with the molding of this product
- Strong hooks keep the frame upright
- Perfect for 8 to 9-foot ceilings
- Very easy to install
- Amazing value for the money you pay
- The pulley system stays extra balanced
Now Think Again
- Does not work with 2020 models
- May need to be reinforced to stay upright
4. Harken Truck Hardtop Garage Storage Hoist
Choosing from the 10 to 12-foot models, Harken has made another high-quality Jeep hardtop hoist. A great piece of news in the fact that it will only take yourself to use this product. With a 200-pound max capacity, you will easily be able to lift and switch out tops onto your Jeep. The install will be a breeze for you as well with the help of the 4-point kit. You will like the install instructions, as well, because they will make your life a lot easier.
As you use this hoist, know that the patented design will lower and lift any load balanced. No matter the weight, you can rest assured. There is even a locking system where you can grip the rose, so they will self-lock.
With the help of quality craftsmanship, you will get purely stainless steel fasteners. The rope is also extra strong for long, long life. Everything that you will ever need in a hoist is here from Harken.
- The product weighs just over 5 pounds
- The hoist is great for your hardtop as well as bikes, ladder, etc.
- You can modify the system to hold more weight on the hoist
- Can be installed in 3 hours or less
- Perfect for hoisting kayaks and surfboards as well
- add extra straps for better security
Now Think Again
- The mounting can get difficult if you have a ceiling 10-feet or taller
- The manual has some missing instructions
5. Smittybilt 510001 Hardtop Hoist for Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ/JK
Smittybilt has certainly outdone themselves here. This top-rated Jeep hardtop hoist uses an AC motor, so you do not have to do the hard work to move the hoist up and down. With a 200 Amp motor, you can bet that your energy will be saved in the process. Also, since the motor is so heavy-duty, you will be able to hold close to 1,000 pounds of weight. That is certainly a lot more than most of the weight capacities on this list. So, if you have a heavy hardtop, this might be the option for you.
At 25.2 pounds, this product will not weigh you down, and it will be easy to install when it arrives on your doorstep. Even if you have a 15-foot ceiling, this hoist will surely work for you. During the shipping process, you will either get the product in one box or two, but do not fret. You will receive everything that is entitled to you.
- The installation process is pretty self-explanatory
- The hoist is as smooth as butter
- Can use this product daily without any problems at all
- The lift lowers quickly
- Only need yourself to install and remove your hardtop of the Jeep
- Can leave the hoist suspended in the air without falling
Now Think Again
- The instructions are not the greatest
- The back hooks have to be installed or you risk breaking glass
6. Champion 440/880-lb. Automatic Electric Hoist with Remote Control
Another electric hoist option comes to use from Champion. As one of the best Jeep hardtop hoist options, you can trust the heavy-duty make-up of this product. With 850-watts of power, you can use the remote to power your lift up and down. You will love the durability with this product that has a 40-foot cable that will hold your hardtop and much, much more.
Champion also has patented dual line technology. With the help of a pully hook, this operation will amaze you, as it lifts your hardtop up and down. Are you concerned with safety? Do not be in the slightest with this product. With automatic braking power, there is a line blocker and stop bracket to keep your nerves at bay.
Reliability is the last thing you can trust about this Champion product. Not only will you get great technical support, but you get a 2-year warranty with this product. It is a dedication from Champion that you will learn very quickly is a company that is for you and not against you.
- The product only weighs 36 pounds
- The motor is a strong 120-volts
- You can ship this product anywhere in the United States of America
- The cable can move 33 feet in one minute flat when nothing is on the hoist
- The cable can move at 16 feet in one minute when something is on the hoist
- The product is made in the United States of America
Now Think Again
- Bad mounting can add more cost to your product
- The cable can start to fray
7. Five Ocean 440 lbs Electric Overhead Hoist Lift
Five Oceans is the next great band that is here to wow you. Sure, you can buy this product, which holds up to 440 pounds, but Five Oceans has other options that can hold up to 2,200 pounds if you are in need. No matter what you decide, you will get a 460-watt to power your hoist up and down with ease. Remote control will make this extra easy, and you can be 20-feet away and it will still work.
Whether you live in the United States of America or Canada, this hoist is certified for use in these countries. Also, since Five Oceans has certified a plethora of other quality options, you can bet they know what they are doing. Even the IP rating is at a 40.
As it pertains to durability, you will get a wire cable that extends to about 40 feet. It will not fray over the first year. If it does, you have a 1-year warranty on the product, which will cover the pulley hooks, the dual-line tech, and everything else that comes with the hoist.
When you receive your product for the first time, this will include the hoist, the pulley system, the mounting bracket, and your instructions. Expect on the sing line that you can cover 220 pounds, but remember with both lines, you double the weight. With the double line lift, you will be able to lift over 16 feet in a minute, but with the sing line, you will go 33-feet in a minute.
- The cable is made of galvanized steel
- The powered remote stretches to 5-feet
- The horsepower is 0.627
- The motor uses 120 volts for power
- This product only weighs 22 pounds
- No batteries needed for this product
Now Think Again
- The shipping box it comes in can get pretty beat up
- The hoist does not have the highest lift capacity and you may need to get an extension
8. Goplus 440 lbs Lift Electric Hoist Crane
Ranging from 440 to 2,200 pounds, you have plenty of options when you decide to buy a hoist from Goplus. As one of the best Jeep hardtop hoist alternatives, you can buy on the market today, expect this product to be durable and quite heavy-duty for you throughout its life. Made with carbon steel cable, it is also made without twisting. With its braided make-up, you can expect greatness from this product.
Since the cable length maxes out at 39-feet, you can expect this hoist to lift and lower almost at any ceiling height. The sturdy steel shell is something you will like as well. On the shell, the hanging clamps are mounted with the most reliable equipment around. You might be surprised that the electric wire unit can hold so much weight, but it certainly can. On the single hook, you can lift 26-feet in a minute and 13-feet in a minute on the double hook.
Speaking of the motor, this tech is pure copper. This approved grade will never overheat for you and you will only use a little electricity at a time. Additionally, there is a great braking system that can be operated by the remote control, so you will not need to hand crank anything at all. This will help to ensure safety for you and anyone else that may go in and out of your garage.
- Easy-to-work with great mounting parts
- The construction of this product is very small
- Can also life engines and large tools
- Uses a precise rotor for added safety
- The steel wire is zinc plated
- The product only weighs 23.9 pounds
Now Think Again
- May need to install with a new lock and flat washers for added security
- The wired remote cable is quite short
9. Harken Cargo Box Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist
By now, you have heard a lot about Harken. This last product from Harken is an amazing option, too. With certified weight holds of 60 to 200 pounds, you can easily install and remove your hardtop with satisfaction. As a one-person hoist, you will not need a family member, friend, or neighbor to help you with your project. You will be able to do this all on your own.
Since this product is also made in the United States of America, you can rest assured that this hoist is built to last. Even when you install this hoist at 10-feet in your garage, you can bet it will hold for years to come. Because of the 4-point kit, you will have an install that holds because of the great instructions.
Then, when you are ready for this great hoist, you will love the design that lower and lifts your hardtop easily with the best weight distribution around. It even has a safe-locking feature to make sure that if the rope is released, you and others will be safe.
- Made with a double-braided line
- The steel hardware is stainless
- The product only weighs 6.6 pounds
- Perfect for a studio and garage
- Very simple to put together
- Comes with a great J-hook mounting system
Now Think Again
- No plastic buckle covers to prevent scratches
- A support beam can cause issues with this product
10. Sportsman Series EHOISTUL 440 lbs Lift Electric Hoist
The last best Jeep hardtop hoist comes to use from Sportsman Series. With the help of a circuited control switch, this 5-foot cable will help you nicely move your hardtop up and down as needed. The steel cable is also quite great because it is braided with carbon. With 1/8-thickness, expect the best form this Sportsman Series hoist.
The motor on this hoist is also a gem. With its 5-amp, 460-watt current engine, you will get 3/4 horsepower and the help of a rated voltage of 110-volts. Additionally, this product only weighs 22.9 pounds, so it will not be difficult to mount or put together. That means less work for you and more time to focus on other things that are important to you.
- The single cable lifting speed is 33 feet in one minute
- The double cable lifting speed is 16.5 feet in a minute
- Ideal for a shop or garage
- A simple installation is what you should expect from this product
- Amazing value for the money you pay for this hoist
- The hoist is great for replacing hitches as well as your Jeep hardtop
Now Think Again
- The hoist can chip over time
- Does not come with a cover to protect from spiders and other bugs
Different Types of Jeep Top Hoist
In the realm of Jeep top hoists, there are three types to consider. The three are the hybrid hoist, the motor power hoist, and the manual hoist. Between these three, you will certainly find the right one for you.
1. Hybrid Hoist
When it comes to the hybrid hoist, this is a mix of motor-powered and the manual option. It is one of the most effective model on the market today. But, you should expect it to be the most costly of the three options. Also, this option will be the bulkiest as well.
2. Motor Power Hoist
The motor-powered hoist uses one button for the hoist to go up and down. This way, you will not have to use your muscle to get your hardtop on and off your Jeep. Usually, there is a remote-controlled box for the easiest control around.
3. Manual Hoist
The last option hoist is the manual edition. This usually means you are getting ropes, pulleys, and levers to do the work on your own. Ultimately, this product has the least chance of breaking down because there are fewer moving pieces to deal with. With the right force applied, you will be able to move loads up and down, but expect to break a sweat.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
We know there are a lot of questions out there when it involves the hoist world. But, we have made it easy for you. Here are the top questions that you should have answers to when picking the right hoist to remove and install a hardtop on your Jeep.
Q1: With the manual hoist, how does a winch work?
A winch uses hooks and straps to help with lifting. With the help of pulleys, you can power it manually or with batteries and motors. You can do this any way you see fit.
Q2: What is the minimum height to install a hoist?
Some hoists ask for 10-feet, but the lowest seems to be 7-feet. Make sure to measure your garage beforehand, so you know what you are getting into.
Q3: Can I use my hoist to make a rooftop tent?
Not only can you replace hardtops for your Jeep, but you can make a tent as well. Maybe you want the kiddos to have a fun sleeping experience. Use the hoist to build a rooftop tent. But, do know that these tents weigh more, so make sure your hoist can handle the weight.
Q4: Can pulleys go into the ceiling directly?
You can add pulleys at an angle but beware. Usually, there are installing mechanisms to help your out here. If not, you could lose your hoist, while damaging your hoist, Jeep, and/or you in the process. So, be very careful here. You need to be sure that the weight is evenly distributed.
Q5: How do I remove a Jeep top?
When you remove a Jeep top, be sure to start by taking off the freedom panels. Next, when you unlock any back slips, you can remove the wire connector as well. The washer hose needs to be taken out, too. When the hardtop is relieved of its duties, use the straps from the hoist to bring it upward, and then you will be good to have no top or swap out for a different option.
Q6: Can I hoist by myself?
Most models out there can hoist with only one person involved. But, if you do not feel comfortable at any time, make sure to have some spot you. This will give you great peace of mind in the process and could save you if you ever get into a bind. Better to be safe than sorry later.
Now, you have all the tools in your arsenal to make the right decision for your hoist. Remember to pick something that will work for you and your lifestyle. Nothing is worse than picking a hoist that has no benefit to you.
Because when you do have the right hoist in your life, it will make all the difference when you are using your Jeep for what it was intended to do. So, go out there, have a good time, and be safe on the road of life. We are glad we could help you make the right hoist decision because this decision will make all the difference in the world.