Last Updated on
Halogen headlights come standard in most vehicles. But when the time comes to replace your stock headlights, it can be quite confusing to know how to choose the best halogen headlight bulbs to meet your lighting needs and your car’s wiring, as well as the legal requirements in your state.
As with most other parts and accessories, you’ll find that halogen headlight bulbs are available from one end of the price and quality spectrum to the other. They also have many different features, styles, and designs to suit a whole lot of different individual needs.
10 Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs: At A Glance
|1. Sylvania Halogen Headlight Bulb|
|2. PIAA Extreme White Halogen Bulb|
|3. Osram Halogen Headlamp Bulb|
|4. Philips 9003 Headlight Bulb|
|5. GE Lighting Halogen Replacement Bulbs|
|6. Silvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs|
|7. PIAA NIght Tech Halogen Bulb|
|8. GE Lighting Halogen Bulbs|
|9. Philips Ultra Bright Headlights|
|10. Hella H7 Halogen Bulb|
So read on to find out everything you need to know about how to choose the right bulbs for your needs in our review and buying guide. In order to make things a lot easier for you, we have even included a list of the 10 most popular halogen headlight bulbs on the market right now.
- Top 10 Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs Review:
- 1. Sylvania Halogen Headlight Bulb
- 2. PIAA Extreme White Halogen Bulb
- 3. Osram Halogen Headlamp Bulb
- 4. Philips 9003 Headlight Bulb
- 5. GE Lighting Halogen Replacement Bulbs
- 6. Silvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs
- 7. PIAA NIght Tech Halogen Bulb
- 8. GE Lighting Halogen Bulbs
- 9. Philips Ultra Bright Headlights
- 10. Hella H7 Halogen Bulb
- Things To Consider When Buying Halogen Headlight Bulbs
- How do Halogens Compare to LEDs and HIDs?
- Advantages of Halogen Headlight Bulbs
- When Do You Need To Replace Your Headlight Bulbs?
- How to Adjust Car Headlights?
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Halogen Headlight Bulbs
Top 10 Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs Review:
1. Sylvania Halogen Headlight Bulb
This ultrahigh performance headlight is one of the whitest and brightest down-road lights you’ll find on the market today. This is one of the reasons we decided to put it first on our list. The combination of features in this bulb, such as more side-road, farthest down-road, and whiter light helps drivers to achieve a lot more clarity during nighttime driving.
This makes the entire experience more comfortable and significantly safer and less stressful. If you are searching for the best halogen headlight to replace your stock bulbs, this brand is definitely a great one to consider.
All the amazing features of this bulb are achieved through the use of specially designed filaments and propriety gas mixtures, as well as durable lamp coating which creates brighter down-road lighting. This feature is also responsible for shifting the color temperature of this bulb toward a much whiter and brighter light.
- Brightest headlight with most down-road visibility
- Whiter light gives added clarity
- High beam, low beam, fog replacement halogen bulb
- Slick style and improved night driving safety
- Halogen bulb backed by Sylvania quality standard
2. PIAA Extreme White Halogen Bulb
This high output halogen replacement bulb gives drivers better depth perception, better color recognition, and vastly improved contrast when compared to stock halogen bulbs. It does all this while still meeting all torque specifications.
These extreme white bulbs feature an output of crisp white light which allows for enhanced road illumination. The blue top coat is great for adding style to your car thanks to the 4000k color temperature.
This product is second in our halogen headlight review list thanks to its ability to allow drivers to see the road hazards, streetlights, etc. a lot sooner than they do with stock bulbs. If you are in the market for a high-quality halogen headlight bulb set, then this is a great one for you to consider.
The aerospace alloy filaments used in making these bulbs help to ensure that they last for a long time. Quartz glass that is heat-resistant is used in an effort to give the bulbs a significantly longer life.
- 4000k bright color for visibility and style
- Made from quartz glass that is heat resistant to offer longer life
- Cutting-edge technology for increased light output
- Filaments made from aerospace alloy for durability
- Proprietary bulb coating for a custom look
3. Osram Halogen Headlamp Bulb
This European made bulb redefines the dimensions of halogen car lamps. It is brighter and whiter than the bulbs that came before. This latest development from the ever-reliable Night Breaker generation will ensure that your driving conditions are safe and pleasurable by illuminating everything you need to see on the road, both ahead of you and to the side.
According to many halogen headlight bulbs reviews left by customers online, the color, wattage, temperature, and lumens of this bulb equal maximum visibility. If you want halogen car headlights that will perform great for a long time to come, then this is a brand you should consider.
These DOT-approved lights will fit a vast range of car models and they offer a light that is slightly bluer and whiter than the standard halogen stock bulbs. This means you not only get high quality and affordability but stylish aesthetics and high performance, too!
- Halogen light offers up 110% brighter light for a comfortable driving experience
- Produces a light cone which is 40m longer than standard lights
- Designed for longer response times thanks to better visibility
- Robust coil design offers a longer bulb life
- H7 bulbs come in a convenient pack of two
4. Philips 9003 Headlight Bulb
This halogen replacement bulb is the ultimate choice for drivers who are looking to personalize their cars. The Crystal Vision Ultra is a DOT-compliant bulb that is unmatched in terms of whiteness and brightness.
This bulb is undoubtedly among the brightest halogen headlights you will find anywhere on the market today. Driving at night becomes a joy when you have these bright white lights illuminating the road for you.
The blue-capped bulb gives a cool effect in your headlights during the daytime while it works effortlessly to provide light ahead of you and to the side of the car at night in order to ensure that you are aware of any imminent hazards with enough time for you to react if needed.
This is an ideal choice for someone who not only wants the bright lights and legal compliance of high-quality headlights but also wants to add a bit of aesthetic appeal to their vehicle. This lights will definitely upgrade your style no matter what type of car you drive.
- High-quality halogen bulbs from a well-known brand
- Whiter, brighter look thanks to innovative technology
- Unique blue gives the bulb a cool blue effect in the daytime
- DOT-compliant stylish design enhances the aesthetics of your car
- Two headlight bulbs for convenience when upgrading to new bulbs
5. GE Lighting Halogen Replacement Bulbs
This series of Nighthawk Sport replacement halogen headlamp bulbs are ideal for you if you are looking for the brightest halogen headlight bulbs for your vehicle. They offer the ultimate solution to combat the danger of having poor lighting conditions while driving on dark roads.
With these bulbs, you’ll have a brighter blue-white light that gives you improved visibility as well as contrast. They are easy to install whether you’re a do-it-yourself enthusiast or first-timer. You’re definitely not going to have any trouble upgrading to this set of bulbs.
Suitable for a wide range of vehicle models, these bulbs offer better performance that far exceeds standard headlights. This is why they are a must-have for drivers who experience dimming headlights. It’s also a great option for those who are interested in minimizing the types of accidents that are more likely to take place when there is poor visibility.
With these lights, you will be able to drive with confidence even in the darkest night conditions. Compliant with the Department of Transportation standards, these bulbs will ensure that you have maximum illumination on the roads to help keep you and other motorists safe.
- Bright, blue-white light for more visibility
- Nighthawk Sports bulbs offer superior contrast at night
- Approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT)
- Package includes two bulbs for your convenience
- Faint blue tint adds style to your car during the daytime
6. Silvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs
These headlights from Sylvania are the newest halogen bulbs from the brand. If you are looking for the widest and most stylish lights for your vehicle, these are certainly great options for you to consider. They are considered among the best halogen headlight options that owners have today.
Silverstein is a brand that has always been committed to high-quality, in this product is no different. It is high performance and ultimate style all wrapped up in a single, convenient, and affordable package. Fueled by proprietary xenon-halogen gas technology, you can be sure that you getting the best quality and long-lasting durability with each of these DOT-approved halogen headlight bulbs.
Each bulb has a mirror top alloy coating and a crisp, white light output that just screams style. This is a great product to consider for anyone who wants their vehicle looking great while performing its best.
- Xenon-charged light bulbs for durability
- Cobalt blue coating for optimal light and color transmission
- Slick style combined with premium performance
- Offers a superior HID alternative
- Backed by the Sylvania quality standard
7. PIAA NIght Tech Halogen Bulb
You can always trust the PIAA brand to produce the highest-rated halogen headlight bulbs on the market. That’s the reason why this is the second entry from this brand on our halogen headlight review list. For anyone searching for improvements in their night driving and off-road driving, this Night Tech high-performance bulb is just what you need.
The easy to install headlight bulbs upgrade is ideal for anyone who wants to do the installation themselves without having to enlist the help of a professional. The bulb performs a lot better than most of the rival products on the market and offers much brighter light than the factory-outfitted bulbs.
You can rest assured that you will have the color intensity from these halogen bulbs for a long time to come as they don’t go dim quickly. The quality of light they provide is comparable to that of HID headlight bulbs, and this makes them ideal if you want a high beam that is extremely bright compared to ordinary headlight bulbs.
- Extremely easy to install, even for the tech-challenged
- SAE-compliant and DOT-approved for street legal use
- Heat-resistant quartz glass tube for longer life
- The proprietary gas mixture gives maximum output
- Whiter, brighter color for enhanced contrast
8. GE Lighting Halogen Bulbs
With these bulbs, you get up to 90% more brightness on the road. The headlights offer improved features when compared to standard halogen headlight bulbs. This is the brightest automotive bulbs from GE brand designed to improve visibility at times when you need it the most.
When you install these halogen bulbs, you can rest assured your nighttime driving will be a more pleasing and safe experience. For anyone searching for an innovative design that has better contrast and a high-end premium look, these are the bulbs you want. They will allow you to drive with confidence even on extremely dark roads.
Many halogen headlight bulbs reviews state that the platinum-colored tip of the bulb and the blue-skirted coating help to not only increase the whiteness but also enhance the aesthetics of your vehicle during the daytime.
- Headlights provide up to 90% enhanced light
- Clean white light for better contrast and visibility
- DOT-approved for street legal lighting
- Installs in minutes for quick and easy replacements
- Ultra highlight performance and longer lifespan
9. Philips Ultra Bright Headlights
This product from Phillips, a well-known brand, is designed for drivers who want to personalize their vehicles. With these headlights, you will get a look which is unmatched while being DOT-compliant. The bulb is made from high-quality materials to ensure long-lasting performance and durability.
You’ll get a bright white light whenever driving on the road during the night. This will help to minimize the risk of accidents that typically happen during this time. You will be able to see clearly what coming at you from the front and the sides so you have ample time to react to avert any danger.
If you are searching for the brightest halogen headlights, these are great options to consider. Made by a brand committed to high quality and excellence, you can be sure that when you buy these bulbs you’re getting full value for your money.
- A brighter, whiter and more stylish look for your car
- The unique blue coating gives the bulb a cool blue effect
- Original equipment quality for reliable performance
- Backed by the Phillips standard of quality
- Bulbs come in a pair for convenience during replacement
10. Hella H7 Halogen Bulb
The standard H7 halogen bulbs from a global company are designed to offer top quality as well as the ultimate in performance. When considering the price-performance ratio, this is undoubtedly among the top-rated options you’ll find available anywhere.
The quality of this bulb corresponds to the bulbs used by a lot of vehicle manufacturers directly. This OEM quality headlight bulb is suitable for a wide variety of vehicles. Available in many designs and bases to allow you to equip any vehicle with these bulbs, these a great option for you if you want an affordable, reliable, high-quality halogen bulb for your car.
- Strong light output for safer driving
- Long lifetime, high resistance against vibrations
- Brightest halogen headlight bulbs in the category
- DOT-approved for street legal driving
- Package includes one bulb
Things To Consider When Buying Halogen Headlight Bulbs
Listed below are some of the important features that you need to consider before making a choice of the best halogen headlight bulbs. Take a look at each of them before deciding on which ones you want to purchase for your car.
The wattage refers to the power that your battery has to deliver in order to light up the halogen headlight bulbs to their maximum brightness. For the majority of cases, a wattage of 55 is ideal, and if it’s higher, you have to ensure that it will conform to your vehicle’s stock guidelines.
The lower the wattage, the weaker the light. However, very high wattages have the ability to melt the wiring of your car. This means that you need to choose a halogen bulb that has the right wattage with the manufacturer’s directives on compatible car wiring systems.
2. Color Temperature
When purchasing halogen bulbs, it’s important to check what the color temperature is. This is measured in kelvins and it determines what type and strength of the beam are released by that bulb. Bulbs with 3000k and below generally have a yellow light which is quite dim.
Up to 4000k will give you white light, and those bulbs with over 4000k offer a very strong white light. You may not find the label for color temperature on some halogen bulbs, and if that is the case, you can simply check customer reviews or ask the manufacturer in order to learn what kind of light is provided by that bulb.
3. Dual Upgrade and Replacement Availability
A halogen headlight bulb lights up using argon gas and nitrogen. Modern versions include xenon for an even brighter, whiter light. Because of this, a halogen headlight bulb becomes dimmer as time goes on since the gas burns at such high temperatures.
The bulb then deposits black residue on its filament and this also makes the bulb dimmer with continued use. You need to be able to replace the two bulbs at the same time in order to maintain a uniform light from both sides of your car while driving at night. This is something to consider when choosing the best halogen headlight bulbs for your needs.
4. Ease of Installation
When it comes to the compatibility with your car as well as how easy the bulbs are to install, it’s important to be sure of this information before making a purchase in order to avoid frustrating delays where you have to stand back your purchase. First, determine which wire and plug your vehicle is suited for.
Brands like Sylvania and Phillips are famous for the way they diversify their halogen headlight bulbs to fit most car models. But, you have to ensure that the bulbs are compatible with H4 or H13 wiring and that they fit the housing perfectly. You don’t want to have a loose bulb as it will vibrate a lot while you’re driving and cause the bulb to prematurely burn out.
The bulbs you choose also need to come with a clear and well-written instruction manual to make it as easy as possible for you to install them in your car. You might even want to choose a plug and use option that doesn’t require tools to install.
5. Legal Compliance
DOT and various other government agencies set guidelines on how much glare your headlight should emit. The majority of halogen headlight bulbs on the market conform to such regulations, but some imported bulbs may not. This means that they may require slight adjustments to make them compliant with the rules.
A lot of high-wattage bulbs might exceed the stated limits, which makes them only suitable for off-road driving. Make sure the manufacturer of the bulb you choose specifically explains the bulb’s compliance measures so you always stay on the right side of the law while meeting all of your car’s lighting needs.
6. Voltage and Wattage
Every type of headlight bulb is designed to work with your car’s wiring and not overheat it. This applies to all halogen, HID, and LED headlight bulbs. The majority of bulbs use 12 volts at high performance, however, HID bulbs need more power in order to ignite when compared to halogen and LED bulbs.
Since they generate much more heat than light when producing their beams, halogen bulbs have less power conversion and therefore are much less efficient than the other two types of headlight bulbs discussed here.
How do Halogens Compare to LEDs and HIDs?
Many car owners wonder whether halogen headlight bulbs are better than LED and HID headlights. In this section, we take a look at a comparison of the three types based on factors such as lifespan, performance, cost, wattage, and voltage. This will help you make an informed decision on which is the best type for your needs.
Most of the energy that is pumped into a halogen headlight bulb is transformed into heat which is essential in order for the halogen bulb to light up. With this light, you get a maximum of 1300lm. On the other hand, LED headlights were designed to produce stronger beams that have varying functionality among the different manufacturers.
You can find some combined LED headlight bulbs on the market that can produce 100,000lm beams. With HID headlight bulbs, you get the brightest glow and when ignited they light up to 50,000 lm, and projection-style HID bulbs produce the brightest beams.
Halogen bulbs glow at very high temperatures. The combination of gases and tungsten filament ignites to form a black residue which causes the bulbs to dim over a period of time ranging between 600-1,000 hours, depending on the bulb’s wattage.
HID headlight bulbs light on xenon gas which converts more of the energy into light than into heat, which gives them a much larger lifespan of between 30,000 and 50,000 hours. LED headlight bulbs are the longest-lasting you’ll find. They are small in size and designed with much better heat distribution. A good quality pair of LED lights can last your car’s entire lifetime.
Halogen headlights are made to fit into your vehicle’s housing directly, which means you can buy individual bulbs without the requirement for casing extensions or ballast. Because of this, halogen headlights offer the cheapest solutions for car lighting needs.
LED headlight bulbs come in many designs, some of which are made to fit any model design. However, you might have to purchase new housing that will accommodate the LED headlights. HID headlights bulbs have better housing than the factory halogen housing, but this proves to be more expensive since you have to purchase a new kit to replace the older one.
Advantages of Halogen Headlight Bulbs
There are many benefits that come with using halogen bulbs over the other types of bulbs mentioned above.
- Halogen bulbs are generally less expensive than other types of headlights bulbs you’ll find out there.
- They are extremely easy to install since they don’t require modification to your car’s original factory housing.
- Most modern halogen bulbs have a design that imitates the brightness of HID bulbs with simple profiles to provide classy lighting solutions at extremely low costs.
- Halogen bulbs are universally available and easily accessible lighting solutions for any car models.
- These types of bulbs produce very little glare that doesn’t blind oncoming drivers, making for a driving experience that is safer for everyone.
- Halogen bulbs offer a much better side view when compared to LED and HID headlight bulbs which helps you to respond better to any threats that come from the roadside.
- The direct integration of halogen headlights with your car’s original wiring results in much less strain on the battery and much longer service from the electric connection in your car.
When Do You Need To Replace Your Headlight Bulbs?
If you are finding it increasingly hard to see the road when it’s dark, it may not mean that you need new glasses – but rather that your car’s standards halogen headlight bulbs have naturally dimmed over time. The good news is that replacing your halogen headlights is a simple and inexpensive procedure that will make your night driving a lot safer for you and everyone also on the road.
There’s no need to be confused about when to replace your halogen headlight bulbs in your vehicle. It’s recommended that you replace them regularly – ideally on an annual basis, in order to maintain safe driving conditions that will allow you to effectively see and react in time to any potential hazards on the road.
When replacing your halogen headlights, it’s always a good idea to replace the bulbs in pairs before they fail so that you ensure optimum use of the headlights in your car. A great opportunity for replacing your headlights bulbs is when you’re at your annual service so that the mechanics can fit the bulbs for you and adjust them correctly before beam pattern that will give you maximum light from your halogen bulbs.
How to Adjust Car Headlights?
Adjusting your car headlights is a process that you have to go through each time you upgrade to new headlights bulbs. This is because the beam angle of your halogen headlights might fall a little out of place. In some instances, it may be pointing higher than it should which means you have to adjust the bulb to give you a better view and safer driving experience on the roads.
Before adjusting your bulb, make sure that your car is the level using the headline aim adjustments. You must measure the distance to the headlights from the ground on both sides to make sure that your vehicle is level prior to making adjustments.
After this is done, you can then follow the steps listed below to achieve the original position from the beam of your halogen headlight bulbs.
Step 1: Park your vehicle 8m away from your garage door or a wall.
Step 2: Turn your headlights on without high beam.
Step 3: Three feet from the ground, mark the letter T using tape from the center of each of the headlights.
Step 4: Remove trim rings from your bumper to access adjustments.
Step 5: Cover passenger headlights then locate their adjustment screws on the other headlight. Rotate them until the top beam comes just below the top of your masking tape on the wall.
Step 6: Do the same with the passenger side headlight and then replace the trim ring.
After completing these steps, you should be able to get a very clear view of the roads.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions About Halogen Headlight Bulbs
Q-1: How Can I Upgrade to Halogen Headlight Bulbs?
- Upgrading to the best halogen headlight bulbs is a simple process. However, you first have to ensure that the bulb is going to fit your car’s manufacturer’s housing design. After you’ve made sure of the specs, you can then make your purchase.
- When installing the new halogen headlight bulb, make sure that you don’t handle the bulb with your hands since the oil and other foreign substances on your fingers might affect heat distribution, effectively reducing the lifespan of your halogen bulb.
- To upgrade to halogen headlight bulbs, all you have to do is open the vehicles halogen housing, unplug the stock bulb, then replace it with a new halogen headlight bulb. For the majority of vehicle models, this process takes less than 10 minutes.
Q-2: When Should I Replace My Halogen Headlight Bulbs?
- Some manufacturers recommend that you place your halogen headlight bulbs at least once every year. This is because over time, because of the way halogen headlights are designed to work, they become dimmer and dimmer.
- The last thing you want is to be stuck on a dark road during a trip because of a bulb that gave up at the most inopportune time. This is one of the main reasons why you need to change your halogen bulbs before they burn out.
- Depending on the quality of your halogen bulbs, some will last longer than others. However, if you do start to notice blurring on either one or both of the lights, then make sure you replace both bulbs to prevent them from burning out.
Q-3: Which Is Better Halogen, LED, or HID Headlights?
- Each type of car headlight bulb has its own advantages and drawbacks. As for halogen headlights, they are lowest in initial costs when compared to the other two, however, they do not last nearly as long as HID and LED headlights.
- The latter produce brighter lights and have significantly longer lifespans, and this makes them cheaper in the long term. So the answer to the question of which headlight is the best depends on what your preferences are.
Q-4: How Long Do Halogen Headlight Bulbs Last?
- The halogen headlight bulbs that you’ll find on the market today have quite a limited lifespan. Most of the best brands have bulbs that last between 600-1,000 hours. However, they are some brands manufacturing modern xenon-integrated models that extend the lifespan of the halogen headlight bulb up to 3,000 hours.
Q-5: Which Brand Produces the Best Halogen Headlights?
- As shown on our review list of the 10 most popular options on the market, halogen headlight bulbs are designed for different vehicle sizes and models. Two major brands, Sylvania and Phillips produce high-quality halogen headlight bulbs that are designed to suit almost every vehicle.
- However, when it comes to choosing the best, they are many other brands that also have great quality products for you to choose from.
As you can see, there are so many options open to you when it comes to getting the proper lighting for your car. The products listed here not only offer you an improved driving experience, but they also adhere to various legal requirements.
Also, our buying guide and FAQ section will help you determine all the right specifications and installation tips to ensure a smooth driving experience.
Take away all the confusion regarding how to choose the right halogen headlight bulbs for your car. Use this article as your resource to help you choose the best halogen headlight bulbs that will suit your vehicle’s lighting requirements.