Have you ever sat back and wondered why chrome, with its spectacular shine, has become so special in the automotive business? After all, we are aware of how susceptible this commodity is especially when it gets to contact the elements. Often found in classy bikes and luxurious vehicles, most predominantly Cadillacs, chrome looks brilliant and exceptional when used on the wheels, exhaust, and other parts as a protective coating. But, once it starts to age, due to oxidation and contact with abrasive chemicals, chrome can turn and become dull and really ugly. Thankfully, this can be taken care of by using the best chrome polish.
Unlike most other metals, chrome is one of the softest. This alone exposes it to a lot of risks of getting damaged no matter how hard it strives to maintain the shininess and glamor on your bike or car’s chrome finish. Thankfully, something can be done to maintain the shiny characteristics of chrome as it ages—which is by using the right chrome polish.
But, the main question that creeps on most people’s minds whenever they hear of chrome polish is which polish is the best to consider. Thankfully, you don’t have to worry as we’ve already done comprehensive research where we’ve compiled twelve chrome polishes that will definitely make the job done.
After the review, we’ve also offered some useful tips you might like to consider when buying a chrome finish as well as some frequently asked questions regarding chrome finish. Please read on.
- Things to Consider Before Buying Chrome Polishes
- Top 10 Best Chrome Polish Reviews:
- 1. Meguiar’s M20532 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish
- 2. TopCoat F11 Polish & Sealer Single Bottle
- 3. Metal Polish Simichrome Polish 250g/8.82oz | Renovator’s Supply
- 4. Flitz Multi-Purpose Polish and Cleaner Paste
- 5. 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer & Polish
- 6. Chemical Guys SPI_404_16 Light Metal Polish (16 oz)
- 7. Adam’s Metal Polish
- 8. Mothers 05146 PowerCone 360 Metal Polishing Tool
- 9. California Custom Products Purple Metal Polish/deoxidizer Combo
- 10. Liqui Tech Finish First Auto Polish (16 oz.)
- 11. Simichrome 390050 All Metal Polish Tube – 1.76 oz
- 12. WHITE DIAMOND Metal Polish with Long Lasting Sealant
- Types of Chrome Polish
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
10 Best Chrome Polishes: Editor’s Top Picks
Things to Consider Before Buying Chrome Polishes
Now that we’ve covered some of the best chrome polishes in the market, we will get to the second phase of this guide where we’ll discuss some of the key factors that make up quality and effective chrome polish.
Now, although these polishes are some of the best in the chrome business, there are those factors you need to be aware of to allow you to easily filter the options as they can’t all suit your situation. So, with that said, here are some key factors you need to be aware of before parting with your hard-earned money.
Type of Chrome Finish:
One of the factors you need to be aware of when shopping for a chrome polish is the various types available. Now, there are four main types of chrome polishes available, which are paste, cream, wadding, and liquid. Depending on your specific requirements, a polish may fail to work at its best due to its state. So, for that reason, it’s wise to understand each of the four chrome polishes to know which one will work better than the other.
Ease of Application:
Just as we mentioned earlier, chrome polishes come in several options such as pastes, creams, and liquids. Each of these types has a different method of application, which, of course, might require special tools for effective application.
But, before settling for a particular polish, always do your math to ensure that you choose a polish that will favor your application requirements.
Car Chrome Protection:
Due to the soft characteristics of chrome, we all know how susceptible it is when exposed to the elements. Oxidation, rust, and corrosion are just a few of the challenges you have to deal with on a daily basis.
So, to minimize these cases, it’s best to consider using rust-resistant chrome polishes that can create a protective coating on the surface to prevent any cases of oxidation and corrosion.
Although the main purpose of a chrome polish is to add life to your chrome surfaces by making them shiny and young, choosing a polish with oxidation and corrosion-resistant benefits is more like killing two birds with one stone.
Something else you need to consider when choosing a chrome polish is your own personal safety when working with it. You see, some polishes are effective but are hazardous and potentially toxic at some point especially when ingested or when they get to contact with raw wounds.
Therefore, to be certain about your health, you need to choose a polish that’s gentle and doesn’t cause any potential harm or risks to your health. Also, you need to maintain personal safety by wearing gloves and goggles to prevent these polishes from getting to contact with your eyes or raw wounds.
In addition to all these, always consider choosing a chrome polish from a top brand. Also, make sure the polish is fast-acting meaning it’s able to settle as soon as it’s applied.
Another factor that calls for maximum attention is the longevity of the polish. Here, you need to ensure that the specific polish you purchase is formulated to provide a long-lasting polish without having to reapply the polish time after time.
While it’s mandatory to check the quality, the volume too needs to be considered to avoid wasting both time and cost of having to purchase new polish anytime you need to polish the chrome parts of your car.
Compatibility or rather versatility is another key factor you need to check on when choosing the top-rated chrome polish. It’s quite obvious that your car will have more than one plating on various parts such as the rims, exhaust, bumpers, and air intakes.
In most cases, this plating may involve a combination of different materials such as brass, aluminum, glass, copper, stainless steel and plastic.
So, with this in mind, you have to play your cards well by choosing a universal chrome polish that’s specifically formulated for multiple surfaces. By doing this, you’ll manage to save more on costs as you won’t need to purchase different polishes.
Age of the Car:
Lastly, you need to check the age of your car before you settle on a specific chrome polish. If you have an old car, the metallic parts are likely to suffer from corrosion and oxidation.
In such cases, the best remedy is to think of a metal finish polish that has the power to remove the oxidation and the corrosion that might have accumulated over time. When you’re done, don’t forget to clean the surface before adding high-quality wax to protect it.
Top 10 Best Chrome Polish Reviews:
1. Meguiar’s M20532 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish
To begin our review in style, we’ll start off by examining the Meguiar’s M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish. Available as one 32 fluid ounce pack, this chrome polish is formulated with a micro-abrasive compound that lets it work without drying up.
Now, following its non-gumming formulation, this polish is thick and viscous meaning a small application can go a long way. The reason why polish has truly made a name in the market is due to the use of a secret formula that’s best known by the company, to prevent duplication and protect the company’s integrity.
This combination of quality ingredients allows this polish to dry up fast after every application. Its versatility allows it to be applied during the final stages of the resurfacing project of your car just before applying wax and sealant.
About the performance, the Meguiar’s M20532 Ultra Finishing Polish has a very strong formula that takes care of the toughest situations including neglected metals. It’s also the biodegradable meaning application can be done by hand, using a polisher or rotary buffer without causing any health concerns.
- An excellent choice when it comes to removing challenging stains and rusts.
- Versatile and able to work on different surfaces.
- Available at an affordable price.
- Quite viscous meaning a single application can go a long way.
- It provides long-lasting benefits.
- Leaves sticky residue behind when polishing.
- Doesn’t get rid of small swirl marks.
2. TopCoat F11 Polish & Sealer Single Bottle
Some of the key features most people look at when searching for a chrome polish is the level of safety, price range, performance and ease of application. The TopCoat F11 Polish is one of the polishes that seem to fit in all the checkboxes.
Although the Meguiar’s M20532 was an excellent choice, one drawback is that it can’t withstand high temperatures. Thankfully, with the TopCoat F11 Polish, this issue has totally been taken care of as this polish can handle high temperatures without exposing you to fire accidents.
Available in a 16 oz. bottle, this polish is a multi-purpose sealer that takes care of rust, oxidation and other micro-scratch concealments that cannot be removed by ordinary polishes. Besides restoring your car or bike’s former glory, this polish makes your already polished surface water-resistant making it the best to consider.
It’s also a versatile option allowing it to work as a perfect alternative for cars, bikes, boats, RVs, and planes. Lastly, the TopCoat F11 Polish is non-abrasive and scratch-free meaning it won’t leave any scratch marks on the surface when applied the right way.
- Virtually odorless making it safe to use under closed doors.
- Versatile enough to work on most surfaces such as glass, chrome, metal, brass, copper, and leather among others.
- Multipurpose sealer as it can coat, seal and protect the surface against wear.
- Environmentally safe as it’s free from volatile organic compounds.
- It’s not flammable.
- It requires numerous applications to clean a surface entirely.
- When used on glass and rubber, it leaves a sticky mess behind.
3. Metal Polish Simichrome Polish 250g/8.82oz | Renovator’s Supply
The Renovator’s Supply Simichrome Polish is one of the big names that has dominated the polish business for quite a long time and for a good reason. Available in a 250 grams tin, this best chrome nail polish is a wonderful addition in most garages as it’s capable of removing both light and tough stains from wheels, exhausts, metal and chrome surfaces.
Its versatility is quite unmatched as it’s capable of cleaning a variety of surfaces such as metal, chrome, brass, and copper among others.
Although its main intention is to give your surface a lustrous sparkling finish, the Renovator’s Supply Simichrome Polish doesn’t disappoint when it comes to sealing spots and blemishes. Its powerful formulation is enough to seal corrosive parts that are as a result of heavy oxidation.
By using a microfiber cloth, all you need is to apply just a small amount of the paste and rub gently depending on the type of stains you’re removing. One thing you should note though about this polish is that it contains chemicals that can expose you to certain cancers and reproductive issues.
- This polish is tough on any stains, corrosion, and oxidation on most metal surfaces.
- It’s versatile enough to work on a variety of metal surfaces.
- A small application goes a long way allowing you to save more polish for future use.
- Multipurpose as it works both for sealing and for shining various metal parts.
- Gentle for regular use.
- Unfortunately, the volume of the paste is lower than 250 grams.
- It’s quite difficult to open the lid
4. Flitz Multi-Purpose Polish and Cleaner Paste
If you’re wondering why Flitz is becoming a favorite brand in the polish business, then the Flitz Multi-Purpose Polish will show you the reason why. Available as a single pack, this polish offers industrial-grade cleaning power that makes it a favorite choice for both commercial and residential use.
Its immense versatility allows it to work on almost all metallic surfaces alongside other non-metals such as glass, fiberglass, plastics, marble, laminated surfaces and other painted surfaces.
Now, while most polishes are intended to restore the shiny effects on metals, the Flitz Multi-Purpose Polish goes further to even remove graffiti and restore the previous glitter on your car’s headlights. Furthermore, this polish has an effective formulation that allows it to create a protective coating on top of metal surfaces to prevent oxidation and corrosion.
The Flitz Multi-Purpose Polish is also surprisingly non-toxic and non-abrasive making it one of the best chrome polish to use on kitchen’s food preparation surfaces. This paste is proudly made in the USA and it offers a 30 days money-back guarantee in case you’re not satisfied with the product.
- Works on a wide range of metals, laminated wood, glass, and plastic surfaces.
- It also works as a sealant and as a polish.
- It has non-toxic properties.
- Perfect for both commercial and residential use.
- Perfect for removing oxidation, tarnish and graffiti.
- This polish is not entirely waterproof.
- It doesn’t do well on fiberglass.
5. 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer & Polish
Just as its name suggests, the 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer is specifically formulated to restore the glitter on all marine hardware. So, whether it’s a boat or a fishing vessel, this paste can remove the tough layer of corrosion and oxidation caused by water, sun, and other elements.
Not only does it work on aluminum, but this paste has also shore cased its might on other sorts of metals such as chrome, copper, stainless steel, and brass among others. The 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer performs at its core best when used on bumpers, rims, and metal trims.
Additionally, this paste can be used to remove the heavy oxidation and tar build-up on other metallic objects. About its level of safety, this paste is safely formulated to protect you from any health risks that are usually caused by most ordinary polishes.
The 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer is an excellent dirt remover and has brilliant restorative properties that allow it to restore the original gloss and luster of any surface it gets exposed to.
- This polish is an excellent stain and scratch remover.
- It requires little effort to use.
- Usable on a variety of metallic surfaces.
- It’s safely formulated making it gentle on your skin.
- At just 1.3 pounds, this paste is very easy to handle.
- It can’t be used on anodized aluminum found in boats
- It doesn’t remove rust and oxidation from old metal surfaces.
6. Chemical Guys SPI_404_16 Light Metal Polish (16 oz)
Available in a 16 oz. bottle, the Chemical Guys SPI 404 Metal Polish looks like a small amount. However, considering the amount of work it’s able to handle, this paste is among the best chrome wheel polish that has made a name in the market.
Now, what makes this innovative formula a close friend for your classic car is its advanced polymer formulation. Using its complex formula, this paste can remove tough stains, dirt, debris, contamination, and oxidation from metallic surfaces to restore them to their former glory.
Apart from that, this paste can clean and protect various metalwork from contamination caused by salt, UV rays, road tar, and oxidation. Application is quite easy, as you only have to use the right microfiber towel to perform the cleaning procedure.
Lastly, this paste is quite universal as it’s usable on a variety of metallic surfaces such as aluminum, steel, brass, chrome, copper, silver and gold among others.
- Works on a large variety of metallic surfaces.
- It has the power to clean, protect and restore the former luster of any metallic surface.
- It’s available at an affordable price.
- Using the right tools, this paste is very easy to apply.
- Easy to use.
- The volume of this paste is too low.
- It doesn’t entirely shine on extremely oxidized surfaces.
7. Adam’s Metal PolishNo products found.
Most chrome polishes we’ve reviewed so far come as a single pack. Although they keep the job done, most customers have long complained of imperfections begging the question of which chrome polish is truly the best to consider.
Thankfully, with Adam Metal Polish, things have gotten a little different as this polish comes as a combo with two polishes to work with. The most surprising thing about these two polishes is how they combine. While the first polish works on restoring metallic surfaces from their dull appearance, the second one contains a unique formulation that removes contamination and imperfection to restore the gloss and luster on your metallic plating.
Just like the rest of the polishes we’ve reviewed so far, the Adam Metal Polish is applicable on a wide range of metallic surfaces and its VOC compliant making it gentle on your health.
- Usable on all types of metal surfaces whether polished, raw or uncoated.
- This polish is VOC compliant
- Customers are offered a 110% satisfaction guarantee.
- It can easily be applied by hand or via machine.
- It comes as a combo for effective results.
- The instruction manual is quite unclear.
- It’s quite expensive.
No products found.
8. Mothers 05146 PowerCone 360 Metal Polishing Tool
The Mothers 05146 PowerCone 360 has been voted by most automotive experts as one of the best polish tools in the market. The reason why it has outperformed most of the ordinary polish tools is due to the unique cone design that lets it penetrate to the most profile areas of your wheels, exhaust, and metallic plating to clean out the mess.
Now, giving your car a new feel is not easy. However, by combining this cleaning tool with your favorite Mothers metal polish, you’re able to clean most of your car’s sharp edges, wheel spokes, and other profile spots with enthusiasm.
Furthermore, this tool is quite versatile meaning it can work on almost any surface whether it’s metallic, plastic, marble or laminated.
- Very easy to use.
- It can be combined with other Mothers chrome finishes for even better results.
- Since it’s soft, it can protect your metal surfaces from scratches.
- Its cone shape allows it to penetrate to profile areas of your car’s wheels.
- It can be used alongside a variety of hand tools.
- It’s too soft to apply polish on numerous applications.
- This polish is quite hard to use.
9. California Custom Products Purple Metal Polish/deoxidizer Combo
Another chrome polish that has proven to offer the best way to polish chrome is the California Custom Products Purple Metal Polish. Just like Adam’s Metal Polish, this one too comes as a combination of two powerful polishes one of which is a deoxidizer and the other a metal polish.
When it comes to performance, this polish is formulated with complex compounds that take care of all your cleaning endeavors. This polish can take care of tough rusts and stains on tarnished metal surfaces making them look new after just a few applications.
The California Custom Products Purple Metal Polish works great on most metal surfaces such as aluminum, chrome, copper, brass, and silver among others. Lastly, this polish is easy to use and it’s scratch-free and non-abrasive making it the best to use on delicate surfaces.
- This polish is extremely easy to use.
- The application doesn’t require any hard buffing.
- It can deoxidize and polish metal surfaces to make them shiny and new again.
- Works on a variety of surfaces including airplane spinners.
- High quality and very potent.
- This polish doesn’t work as expected.
- Labor-intense and very tiring when polishing a wide area.
10. Liqui Tech Finish First Auto Polish (16 oz.)
Whether you’re planning to use it on the wheels, bumpers or metal surfaces, the Liqui Tech Finish is one of the best polishes that will never disappoint you. Formulated with high-quality potent materials, this polish has enough power to remove rust and oxidation from metal plating leaving them new and shiny.
Now, engineered using the latest synthetic polymer technology, this polish has unique characteristics that let it bond chemically with most painted surfaces to remove swirl marks and scratches. Not only that, but this polish also ensures that any surface it’s polished on is left smooth with a brilliant mirror-like shine.
Most automotive polishes only concentrate on shining any surface they’re polished on. However, with the Liqui Tech Finish, things are a little bit different. That’s because this polish is designed to create a dynamic durable barrier on various surfaces to protect them from acid rain, salt, tree sap, and tar.
It’s also versatile meaning users can apply it on a wide range of surfaces and it’s also user-friendly making it one of the best polishes for residential use.
- This polish can be used in kitchens and bathrooms without causing any health issues.
- It doesn’t crack or peel when used on painted surfaces.
- It shines and protects your surface against damages caused by the elements.
- It provides long protection that goes anywhere from 6 to 9 months.
- It cleans a wide range of materials.
- This polish sticks on electric buffers when polishing.
- The shine doesn’t last for a long time.
11. Simichrome 390050 All Metal Polish Tube – 1.76 oz
Despite its small tube content (1.76 oz.), the Simichrome 390050 is one of the best metal protective polishes available in the market today. A popular and highly rated brand in the polish business, this polish not only cleans your metal surfaces, but it also protects them from all sorts of damage caused by rust and oxidation.
Due to its small volume, this polish is very easy to work with, as it doesn’t cause any mess. It’s also user-friendly allowing it to be used both in commercial and residential settings. So, whether it’s polishing your car or motorcycle in a garage, or polishing antique and other metallic parts in your home, this polish will not expose you to any health risks.
Last but not least, the Simichrome 390050 can be used on any uncoated, non-ferrous and metal surfaces such as brass, copper, chrome, aluminum, gold, silver and stainless steel among others.
- It can polish a variety of different metals.
- It’s very easy to use.
- It has a powerful formulation that cleans all sorts of damages caused by corrosion and oxidation.
- It can be used both commercially and in residential settings.
- This polish shine metal surfaces while still coating them from external damage.
- It produces a strong odor.
- The volume is quite small.
12. WHITE DIAMOND Metal Polish with Long Lasting Sealant
Finally, in our review, we have the WHITE DIAMOND Metal Polish. Another top-rated brand in the polish business, this sealant is designed to produce a commendable shine on various metal surfaces ranging from gold, nickel, silver, aluminum, stainless steel, chrome, and brass among others.
Packed in a 12 fl. oz. container, this metal polish can be used on a wide range of projects from marine care, instrument care, automotive care, to airplane care. When it’s not being used in commercial settings, homeowners can enjoy using this sealant in their homes to polish bathtubs, knives, guns, polycarbonate surfaces, and gel coat fiberglass among others.
Although the polish isn’t that much, it still serves its purpose well by treating dull surfaces making them young and shiny. Besides that, this polish is a wonderful sealant and a great protector for metallic surfaces against corrosion and oxidation.
- Works well in removing oxidation and corrosion.
- Versatile enough to be used in cars and at home.
- A small content delivers guaranteed results.
- Works as a multi-purpose polisher for cleaning a wide range of metals.
- It also acts as a powerful sealant.
- This polish doesn’t entirely clean metal surfaces.
- Quite weak in protecting metals against oxidation.
Types of Chrome Polish
As we mentioned earlier, chrome polishes come in four different types that are designed to accomplish the same task of polishing your car’s chrome plating. Now, although they perform a similar task, each one of these polishes has its own pros and cons that make it suitable for a specific cleaning task. To understand which among the four is best suited for your specific polishing project, let’s discuss them more in detail.
In terms of market share, liquid chrome polish is by far one of the most common types available in the market. The reason for its popularity is due to its ease of application that makes it the second easiest type of chrome polish other than aerosol spray polish.
Other than being the easiest to apply, liquid chrome polish thoroughly cleans chrome surfaces without leaving any streaky marks behind.
However, due to the density of liquids, this type of chrome polish performs well when cleaning but quite poorly in polishing as compared to most of it’s thicker and denser chrome polish counterparts.
It also offers a low restorative effect than the rest of the polishes meaning you have to make numerous applications until you have the best effects.
This type of polish is also known as aerosol chrome polish and is quite similar to liquid polish in terms of performance and general characteristics. Although their effectiveness is the lowest when compared to the other types, they’re generally the best when used in light projects or for touch-up details.
Now, in case this type of polish is the one available to you, it can’t just be bypassed as it proves to be effective when used regularly over an extended period until an excellent performance is evidenced.
Cream polishes lie somewhere in between liquid and paste chrome polishes. These viscous polishes are some of the best to consider as they’re formulated with micro damaging and restorative properties that produce robust and versatile effects.
Unlike liquids, cream chrome polishes provide a robust protective layer on the surface of your chrome plating protecting it against any possible damage via corrosion and oxidation.
Something else about creams is that they’re the only ones that work well with most powered cleaning tools.
Although the rest of the polishes are excellent cleaners, the paste is by far the best chrome cleaner in the market. The best thing about this paste is its incredibly thick density that ensures just a bit of application can go a long way.
Now, paste contains power abrasives that help to get rid of tough stains, rust, and persistent oxidation. One drawback though with this type of polish is that it requires a professional to apply the paste using the right tools as a little mess can ruin the entire project to a point of having to resurface your entire chrome plating.
Finally, there’s a wedding. Although it’s quite uncommon, this type of polish contains fibrous materials soaked in chrome polish. This type of polish dries up quite fast, and although it does work on tough stains, it’s sometimes useless.
Benefits of Chrome Polish
- Provides Aesthetically Pleasing Results: Have you ever been tasked to polish your grandma’s jewelry? Well, if you have, then you clearly know the benefits of polishing metal jewelry to give them a mirror-bright finish. After all, we all know how metal get’s tarnished when it gets oxidized.
- Metal Polishes Work Well on Cars: If your vehicle’s metallic parts have been tarnished by rust and oxidation due to frequent exposure to the elements, one way you can take care of this is by using a chrome polish. Not only does it beautify the look of your car, but it also improves the resale value of your vehicle.
- Longevity: Another benefit of polishing your metal parts is protecting them from the elements. This way, some of your favorite jewelry can easily be protected against wear. Other than that, chrome polish is an excellent performer when it comes to protecting your metal plating from extreme temperatures.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What’s the Purpose of a Chrome Polish?
Now, chrome polishes have a variety of purposes. However, their main purpose is to clean dull metallic surfaces to make them look new, shiny and young. But, following a high demand for these polishes, manufacturers have figured out brilliant ways of adding other formulations to make these polishes multi-purpose. Therefore, besides cleaning your car’s metal plating, chrome polishes have the power to seal and protect painted surfaces from cracks and wear caused by the sun’s UV rays and corrosion caused by salt and acid rain.
Q2: Do Chrome Polishes Hide Defects?
Well, that’s a brilliant question that’s commonly asked by most newcomers in this business. In a nutshell, chrome polish doesn’t remove defects and tough dents like paints do. However, due to its ability to shine on most metal surfaces, the shining effects tend to mask or rather make these defects appear invisible to some extent.
Q3: Why do Most Experts Recommend Chrome Polish over Regular Detergents?
First, you need to realize that there’s a huge difference between these two. While regular detergents clean your metal parts, chrome polish goes far more beyond this to both clean metal surfaces and still protect them from those factors that cause damage. Also, regular detergents have been found to cause extensive damage to metal parts besides cleaning them. So, to avoid any unpredictable results, most experts recommend chrome polish over regular detergents.
Q4: How do I Clean the Polish from a Metal Surface?
Cleaning chrome polish off a metal surface, such as your car, isn’t that difficult. All you have to do is to wipe the residue in a circular motion using a microfiber towel. Make sure that you clean even those profile places such as curves and intricate handles. When you’re done removing the polish, buff the surface thoroughly to bring back the shining effect.
So, if you’ve been wondering how to clean chrome, then we believe this insightful guide has offered you everything that’s needed. Now, investing in the best chrome polish isn’t that easy. That’s because you need to find the right polish that’s capable of cleaning, shining, and protecting your car’s metal surface against the elements.
Remember, your car is your investment. Therefore, investing in the best polish means that you won’t damage your car’s metal parts or experience any undesirable side effects.
In conclusion, chrome polishes differ a lot in terms of their formulation. Therefore, when making your purchase, it’s highly paramount that you read the product details very carefully to avoid messing up.